Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
Sierra Nevada Celebration
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:16:12 am »
I have been looking forward to this release all year, only to find that my palate must have changed and I do not enjoy it at all anymore.  How bizarre.  The bottles were dated last month so I don't think it is a freshness issue.  Maybe I'll try it on tap somewhere. 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:49:13 am »
I just tried it last night.  I enjoyed it but not as much as previous years.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:52:47 am »
The recipe changes every year. Haven't seen it yet, but 2013's Celebration was (to me) way better than last year's.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:45 am »
For me all these Christmas beers are great the first time you drink one. Then the newness wears off quickly and you're left with a bunch of syrupy/spicey beer you end up throwing up next summer because they break down in storage.  :-X

Mix-a-six is the way to go for me if I want to partake
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:14:24 am by curtism1234 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:13:22 am »
Celebration has always been one of my favorite seasonals (tried it every year since it first showed up in Indy), but last year's from Mills River was the first that I didn't like. I'm gonna try it again this year to compare. I thought last year's was more bland and light on hop character than any other year's.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:15:21 am »
The recipe changes every year. Haven't seen it yet, but 2013's Celebration was (to me) way better than last year's.

are you trying to start something here?

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:18:56 am »
i like it.  i agree it is not as assertive and bold as usual but i am enjoying it nonetheless.  it seems more like a hoppy amber this year (Red Seal?).  i brewed something in the vein of celebration and hope to compare the two when mine is kegged and tapped.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:17 am »
I went out of my way to purchase this beer last year and was kind of disappointed after all of the hype I had heard/read. I am a bit confused by the seemingly controversy surround whether the recipe does or does not change.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:26 am »
My favorite seasonal was Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer but I haven't seen it for a couple years.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:31:59 am »
I am a bit confused by the seemingly controversy surround whether the recipe does or does not change.

god that is one of those interweb rumors that won't go away.  It does not change.  Its the same every year with the first dried hops of the new harvest.  I've heard countless interviews with Steve Dressler where he is emphatic that it doesn't change.

What does change is nature - the growing conditions for the hops which have impacts on the hops used and the final flavor and aroma of the beer.  Also, people's memory of something from a year ago versus what is right in front of them has a way of being either overly critical or overly nostalgic.

here is the recipe:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9713.0

its solid.  and dare i say exact.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:06 am »

Um, no it doesn't....obviously the hop crop will differ from year to year, but they assured us at Beer Camp that the recipe is the same every year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 11:33:16 am »
I am a bit confused by the seemingly controversy surround whether the recipe does or does not change.

god that is one of those interweb rumors that won't go away.  It does not change.  Its the same every year with the first dried hops of the new harvest.  I've heard countless interviews with Steve Dressler where he is emphatic that it doesn't change.

What does change is nature - the growing conditions for the hops which have impacts on the hops used and the final flavor and aroma of the beer.  Also, people's memory of something from a year ago versus what is right in front of them has a way of being either overly critical or overly nostalgic.

here is the recipe:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9713.0

its solid.  and dare i say exact.

THIS^^^^  I was directly told by several people at SN that the recipe does not change.  I have no reason to doubt them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 11:40:41 am »
Good to know that it does not change.

One that does change that I really enjoy is Anchor's Christmas Ale
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:20 am »
For me all these Christmas beers are great the first time you drink one. Then the newness wears off quickly and you're left with a bunch of syrupy/spicey beer you end up throwing up next summer because they break down in storage.  :-X

Mix-a-six is the way to go for me if I want to partake

Celebration is (was?) a red IPA, though.  No spice at all. 

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 11:56:45 am »

Also, people's memory of something from a year ago versus what is right in front of them has a way of being either overly critical or overly nostalgic.

I think this may play a factor in it as well.