Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mental Floss  (Read 5033 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Mental Floss
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:32 am »
Beersmith must still be using another formula. When I compare Bs with the formula mentioned here I get almost 1C difference... (formula gives higher result)
Beersmith's numbers are never even close to what I get on my system. It's damn near worthless, unfortunately.
Jesse

RPIScotty

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 07:44:04 am »
I'm not really a huge fan of BeerSmith. There is a lot of fluff in there. Personal Excel sheets are the way to go in my opinion. There is nothing in BeerSmith that a person couldn't do in Excel. The Beer Cloud or whatever they call it is not worth the price of admission.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 07:52:23 am »
Beersmith's numbers are never even close to what I get on my system. It's damn near worthless, unfortunately.

Have you edited your equipment profile to your system specs?  Beersmith is nearly always within a degree of my target.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:58 am »

Have you edited your equipment profile to your system specs?  Beersmith is nearly always within a degree of my target.

What could cause the difference? Maybe Beersmith takes into account the mash tun mass as a factor?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:39 am »

What could cause the difference? Maybe Beersmith takes into account the mash tun mass as a factor?

In order to use BeerSmith, you have to customize it to your system or it will give you tons of incorrect information. And yes, it takes into account mash tun mash as a default. That can be changed, as can nearly any other factor. Spending $21 on BeerSmith saved me from having to build yet another spreadsheet (it's the main part of my day job, which is to say that I don't want to spend more time on it).
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 08:32:01 am »
After setting up my equipment profile in beersmith, the software has gotten me to within 1° of mash target almost every batch. The only time it is significantly off is if I try to preheat my tun and tell it not to adjust for equipment temp. That usually winds up with temp off by several degrees, but ymmv
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 08:39:30 am »
If you preheat, I find it's best to set the tun mass to 0.

RPIScotty

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 08:48:43 am »
To loop back around to the original post:

In summary, strike water temperature calculations are theoretically obedient to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. Since the energy inputted to the mash tun is conserved, you can estimate the point at which the heat absorbed from the water into the grain reaches equilibrium and use that as your theoretical strike water temperature. This is of course calculated using:

Tstrike=((0.2/r)*(Ttarget-Tinitial))+Ttarget

Empirically all you need to do is brew on your system a few times to observe any heat losses to your surroundings or mash tun and simplify the the equation to the following, where Tcompensation is a value in degrees that you "overshoot":

Tstrike=Ttarget+Tcompensation

It doesn't matter whether you do it in your head, on paper, in Excel or in BeerSmith.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 08:59:10 am »
Thing is, for my equipment and process, I've learned over time that my strike temp = target mash temp +16F . No software or calculation estimates this exact differential - but it's spot on for me. Just an example of how  software/calculations might not exactly match your own experience.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 09:20:36 am »
Thing is, for my equipment and process, I've learned over time that my strike temp = target mash temp +16F . No software or calculation estimates this exact differential - but it's spot on for me. Just an example of how  software/calculations might not exactly match your own experience.

precisely. and mine is +11F
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 09:33:13 am »

This doesn't work for me as I keep my equipment in the garage. My tun could be anywhere from 34°-95° at mash-in. This is why I choose to pre-heat.

RPIScotty

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 09:36:55 am »

This doesn't work for me as I keep my equipment in the garage. My tun could be anywhere from 34°-95° at mash-in. This is why I choose to pre-heat.

I wouldn't think pre-heating and using the simplified empirical formula are mutually exclusive, i.e. I have a guide value for my Tcompensation and still pre-heat my mash tun.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37:32 am »

I keep mine in the garage, too. Obviously there's a lot of variance there  - I bring mine in the day before brewing and leave the lid open, to let it equalize to house temp. Since I started doing that, the + 16 (plus/minus a degree) is pretty steady for me. Lots of ways to get there, though.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:02 am »
For years, I've used Promash to determine my strike temp with remarkable accuracy.  After all those years, I noticed a pattern...my SOP is to keep grain in the house until I use it and the cooler stays in the garage.  With that scenario, I can just heat my strike water 14F hotter than the mash temp I want and I'm close enough to make beer.  If I ever brewed in any other situaation, I'd have to know calcs, but as long as I do what I normally do, I can dispense with them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 09:46:22 am »
The real problem is with lack of precision in measurement. Same as when you try to use Sean's batch sparge simulator. If you don't have exact volume measurements you can't calculate true conversion efficiency.

if you had exactly accurate measurements of grain temp, water temp, tun materials characteristics and temp, water volume (probably mass actually as volume changes with temp), grain mass, etc. they theoretical equations would be spot on every time.

all of these measurements would have to take into account heat loss while transferring strike water from HLT to MT and so on as well.

This is the problem with the hyper technical approach in homebrewing, it's great if you have millions to spend on analytical equipment like an ABInbev brewery, or even a BJ's Brewpub brewery, but as homebrewers we are introducing such huge uncertainties all along the way that the empirical approach is really the only effective approach to take.

as Denny is wont to say, science is great but real world results are what matters.

Also, 1C delta seems pretty inconsequential to me. I wouldn't start worrying till about 3C.

And, homoeccentricus, I wish I had been raised with the metric system. It makes sooo much more sense than the ridiculous bodged together system that we still limp along with here in the states.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce