Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cellar Temperatures  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Gloridaze Brewing Company

• 1st Kit
  • Gloridaze Brewing Company
Cellar Temperatures
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:58:09 am »
I have read the ideal cellar temperature is around 50˚F.  I don't have a dedicated fridge that I can put a controller on or a basement that holds temps in that range.  I've been keeping my "cellar" beers in my food fridge around 38˚F.  I have read that keeping them this cold will not allow them to age properly or at least at a reasonable rate.  Am I be better off storing these beers at room temp, 68˚-72˚F or keeping them in the fridge as I'm doing?  Thanks!!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Cellar Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:30:20 am »
I think they are better off in the fridge vs 68+. They may not develop any new flavors in the fridge but the aging process would likely be too fast at those ambient temps. Just my .02, but I am in the same boat so really not cellaring g much right now
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:16:58 pm »
Thanks.  I was thinking that I was loosing out on developing new character in the beer.  Distributors have their beer at room temp so I was thinking that as long as it was in the dark and not at 90˚ that it would be a good move.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:33:05 pm »
My basement varies over the course of the year between 55 and 72 F.  Cellaring of Old Ales has worked really well.  One of them took two summers to develop to the point where I like them another took only 1 year.  My Old Ales have lots of crystal.  Other styles like RIS haven't generally aged so nicely because the roast fades too much. 

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:53:44 pm »
kramerog do you think it didn't develop well because of the temperature and temperature swing?  RIS is typically a good style to cellar.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:16 pm »
kramerog do you think it didn't develop well because of the temperature and temperature swing?  RIS is typically a good style to cellar.
The life of a RIS is limited by the disappearance of roasted malts.  Strong Belgians, barleywines and old ales aren't limited in the same way.  I don't know if it is because of my warmer temperature, but the RISs become smoother and than they begin to fade.