Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with direct fired automation 1.5 bbl system  (Read 2505 times)

Offline bjhu7642

• 1st Kit
Help with direct fired automation 1.5 bbl system
« on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:35 pm »
I'm looking for help in figuring out how to automate my 1.5 bbl propane fired system.  I'm using BG14 burners with 30 psi regulator.  I have a PID temperature controller to activate the gas valve, but I haven't had success getting auto-ignition to work reliably. 

Attempts so far:
* pilot light - blows out when the valve is shutoff
* 12v hot surface igniter - worked for a few minutes, but the longer it ran, the less reliable the auto-ignition. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brad

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Help with direct fired automation 1.5 bbl system
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:50 am »
It is likely going to take more parts.

Advice on the existing system....

A second option, is to get a grill piezeo ignitor.  (battery or push button) and place the spark in a spot where it will ignite the gas.  I did this option for a couple years before the pilot.  (your 24v  ignitor may be essentially the same) .  I found positioning the spark and fixing it firmly to be key... changes in spark gap or dripping on it can effect it's performance.

Also, at 30psi, you may have to start with reduced flow to start with, or you will blow the flame out before it fully ignites the burner.  The spark just wont be able to get things going fast enough before the propane blows it out.   

BETTER OPTION:
If you are looking to use the PID and automatically start the unit, what I have settled on is using a Honeywell or other safety burner controller. (comonly used for water heaters, fireplaces...) It will prevent you from running the gas if the pilot is out, and it will also provide you with a standing pilot without all the ball valves and tees.  They take 24VAC to run, but you may have that already.  If not, a doorbell power transformer is usualy good enough to power it.      You will need to run the start signal of the Honeywell to the contacts on your PID (it will be a 24VAC signal )

You will also need to get the propane conversion in some cases for the Honeywell.  It will allow the Honeywell to operate at the higher pressures of Propane vs Natural gas.  (check e-bay... they usually have these gas safety valves and propane conversion kits)

It gets a bit pricy, but it is much safer than just wishing the pilot stays on, and the peace of mind is well worth doing it right!   

I started with a cobbled system, and wound up going this route, and am much happier.  A few extra dollars and the valve is much safter and better than anything I cobbled together out of parts.

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!