Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dual BrewPi True GDM-12 Fermentation Chamber Build  (Read 21111 times)

Offline Roadraper

• 1st Kit
Re: Dual BrewPi True GDM-12 Fermentation Chamber Build
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 09:50:43 pm »
It would be better to tackle the wiring of the compression/thermostat. Even if you don't know much about wiring, it would be a good idea to physically see how the compressor is currently wired up in your refrigerator. Take lots of pictures before you cut anything as you discover wiring paths, from HOT to NEUTRAL to GROUND. You basically want to bypass your current thermostat and replace it with the cooling side / solid state relay of the BrewPi. I used paint can light bulb heaters in my BrewPi build to heat the chamber. This was connected to the heating side / solid state relay of the BrewPi. :) Cheers!
Nice setup! I was inspired and pulled the trigger on the BrewPi controller for fermentation control in a GDM-26. As far as I know it has the same condenser and thermostat wiring setup as the GDM-12. Could you post a pic or give me more detail on the way you wired yours? (thermostat only or at the condenser)... The fridge hack on BrewPi's site didn't help me much for the True GDM models. Thanks!!!http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/Smileys/default/huh.gif

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »
I would recommend wiring outlets that you can plug the fridge into. The primary reason for "hacking" the fridge like Elco and others is to be able to use the light as a heat source. Not messing with the wiring will maintain the value of your fridge.

Offline Roadraper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »
I don't mind hacking on this build considering I bought 2 units (a little rough looking but work fine) for $400 in a restaurant closure sale. Certainly don't want to ruin the fridge, but really like the idea and want to try it.  Not sure if the cycle time issue discussed earlier would be resolved using the pigtail method or wired outlet. Would'nt that be an "all on or all off" situation...eventually leading to premature failure? Hell...what do I know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline chrisjpryor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 04:38:36 am »
This build looks amazing and I am hoping to build something similar.

My concern though is with the lowest temperature that these display fridges can maintain. After re-wiring them for use with a BrewPi, can they actually get the fermenter down to 32°F/0°C? If they can, will the compressor be running constantly to maintain such a low temperature?