Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: help me throw something together  (Read 1427 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
help me throw something together
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:59:14 am »
Brewing today and i want to purge the bal of my grain shelf stock. Here is what I have help me make up a kitchen
sink recipe. Thanks
GWM munich malt 3 oz
briess caramel 60L 5oz
CMC white wheat malt 10oz
gambrinus honey malt 10oz
plenty of 2 row
hops in stock:
wilammete
citra
summit
nugget
columbus
cent
rakau
chinook
amarillo
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: help me throw something together
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:26:27 am »
Sounds like a recipe for AIPA to me :  2 Row + the 5 oz of C60.  Bitter with Columbus or Chinook, a blend of Rakau, Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus late. Plenty of gypsum in the mash. Obviously APA is an option too.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Sounds like a recipe for AIPA to me :  2 Row + the 5 oz of C60.  Bitter with Columbus or Chinook, a blend of Rakau, Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus late. Plenty of gypsum in the mash. Obviously APA is an option too.
Do you think adding the honey malt too would be odd tasting?
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:29:40 am »

I avoid it in IPA - I feel sweetness and high hopping levels clash, and honey malt (not surprisingly) has a sweet character. If it sounds good to you, go for it.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:31:12 am »

I avoid it in IPA - I feel sweetness and high hopping levels clash, and honey malt (not surprisingly) has a sweet character. If it sounds good to you, go for it.
no i agree im just trying to go outside the lines with this batch
Thanks for the input
Jimmykx250

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:30:24 am »
What kid of yeast choices? Any dark grains or is that what you have to work with?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:44:08 am »
What kid of yeast choices? Any dark grains or is that what you have to work with?
us05 is my yeast of choice cheap and easy to use. No dark grains.
Jimmykx250

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 02:16:24 pm »
The only thing I see comming out of this is a Pale Ale or IPA of some sorts. There's not a lot of Munich or Crystal to really drive the beer into anthing else. I thought maybe an Amber Ale if you want to go that route but not with only a couple oz of Munich and Crystal 60.

I asked about yeast because if you brew any Belgians, you could have some other options.

Use up some 2 row, throw the Munich and C-60 in there with a .25 lb of the Wheat and throw some hops in the boil. If you wanted to try some Honey Malt, go for it, but I wouldn't use more that .25 lb and in that case I would drop the Wheat. But there's not much there to go on besides that. Lots of nice hop to pick from!