Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cupboard Cleaner beer  (Read 1472 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Cupboard Cleaner beer
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »
Hey guys just trying to see what you think of this recipe. My girlfriends brother is coming home around thanksgiving time and is hoping I have some homebrew available so I don't want to disappoint. I don't really want to buy any supplies so I just want to use what I have on hand so my choices are limited.
The only yeast I have is WLP029 which is a good neutral yeast I think but I feel limits my style choices.
Hop Choices
- Willamette~1oz
-Nugget~1oz
-Brewer's Gold~1oz
-Simcoe 2oz
-Mosaic 2oz
Grains:
Irish Pale Malt 30+ lbs
Honey Malt >1lb
Crystal 10 1lb
Crystal 40 1lb
CaraAmber 1lb
Dark Crystal 150L >1lb

I Was thinking
80% Irish Pale Malt
15% crystal malt
5% honey malt
simcoe hops-30-35 IBU's
SRM:13-18
ABV: 5%

What do you think and if you have any other thoughts please share!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Cupboard Cleaner beer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »
You're recipe sounds interesting. Although, the amount of crystal malt along with the honey malt is going to make a rather sweet beer. Honey malt gets overpowering quite easily. I would lower the honey malt to 2% and even lower the crystal malt 10% or less. I tend to prefer Simcoe blended with other hops. Although, if you're only using it for bittering it may be ok by itself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:59 pm »
For a 5.5 gal batch you could always go more of the "pale ale" route with simply the base malt and 1/2# of C40, or base malt and 1/2# of caraamber.  Bitter with Nugget and hop burst towards the end with Simcoe and Mosaic or even add those into the whirlpool for a nice flavor/aroma addition.  I would definitely use all of the Simcoe and Mosaic if you go this route. 

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:53 pm »
I think of honey malt as a kind of crystal malt because of the perceived sweetness it adds.

I've never made a beer with 20% crystal type malts, but I imagine it would be awful.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
That is a good point I didn't even think about how the honey malt and crystal malt together would be super over powering. So after thinking it over I think I am either going to do one of three things.
1.) Ditch the honey malt, go 90% base malt, 5% C40, 5% CaraAmber.
2.) Try to use these supplies to make a beer similar to my Blondie's Ale I brewed a while back.
3.) Or give in and go to the LHBS.
As far as the hops I want around 30 IBU's I probably play with some hops at FWH and at flameout. Probably a mix if Simcoe, mosaic and possibly use some brewers gold. Get that piney, citrusy aroma and taste from the hops.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
3.) Or give in and go to the LHBS.

Ah, but what's the fun in that!? Hobbies are suppose to be fun. I love a good 'kitchen sink' ale when the time is right to empty the freezer. I think the advice your getting is solid and you'll make a perfectly quaffable beer, use up some ingredients and save a trip to the LHBS. Win, win, win. Hell, maybe you'll make something you REALLY like and then you'll have a good story to tell with your girlfriend's brother and a recipe you can give some sort of silly name.