Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tasting with Randy Mosher - Philly Beer Week  (Read 1341 times)

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
Tasting with Randy Mosher - Philly Beer Week
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:52 am »
I was psyched for Philly Beer Week this year, but ended up being extremely busy and not being able to attend any other events. I was able to get some time away from home and work and made it to Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville to meet Randy Mosher for a book signing. Got my copy of Radical Brewing signed and talked some homebrew with him. Great guy and extremely friendly. Then we were off to Iron Hill in North Wales, PA for a tutored tasting led by Randy himself. We went through 4 beers with tips on how to taste and different words to use to properly describe difficult tastes. It was a great time. Randy even went pretty deep into how you taste, what goes on in your head along with a background of almost every ingredient in the beers. Got a free pint at the end of the night too. For $10, it was an amazing deal and my wife and I had a great time and met a bunch of other homebrewers as well as just plain old beer lovers.

Here are the beers we tasted:

Vienna Red Lager
Hefeweizen
Russian Imperial Stout
Barrel-Aged Quadfather

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Tasting with Randy Mosher - Philly Beer Week
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:57:46 pm »
Sampling good beers with someone who has an educated palate and the ability to articulate the various characteristics of each beer is a very rewarding experience.  Reading books and the BJCP style guidelines only takes you so far.  You gotta get the senses involved and you need to pair up often with those who have more experience (and not just one person, but a whole group of different judges or experienced brewers).  You wilI learn something from each session.  Having an educational beer drinking session with RM for just 10 bucks--you came out on top in so many ways!  Good for you.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Tasting with Randy Mosher - Philly Beer Week
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:23 pm »
I'm green with envy! I have enjoyed reading Mosher's articles for years. ;D Sounds like a great time and fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing!