Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No joy in kegging  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: No joy in kegging
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 06:37:45 pm »
I still don't think there is a leak, but I guess none of us are there to verify.

Offline oldtymehockey

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2015, 06:47:58 pm »
There are two nylon washers where it connects to the tank. Pressure is about 9.5 psi. The beer still foams up and under the foam is flat sour beer. I do really appreciate all the advice but I am running out of patience with the hobby all together. I am just going to have to go back to buying craft beers. So disappointed.

I know this is not a good way to introduce myself on a forum and I do apologize for that. You all have been great.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:10 pm »
Find a local club and meet some other brewers.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2015, 07:48:47 pm »
Yo, if it's sour (and I don't think its supposed to be) there's something else going on there.

An infection could cause a lot of foaming, too.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2015, 07:54:43 pm »
I lost a bottle full due to a leak. PITA! Use teflon tape on threaded connections. Also, if you charge the system then close the valve, it should hold pressure at least overnight if there are no leaks.

Offline oldtymehockey

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2015, 07:39:28 pm »
So, I have figured out the only way to pour a decent beer out of this POS over priced system. I must let all the pressure out of the keg and then pour my beer to get a decent pour. The carbonation remains in the pint served. If I do not do this 3/4 of the glass is foam and the beer below is flat and tastes completely different. I know I am frustrated and ready to give up but I still feel the need to drink what I have brewed. Ya know?

I can't help but think there is some problem with this system.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 07:51:07 pm »
So, I have figured out the only way to pour a decent beer out of this POS over priced system. I must let all the pressure out of the keg and then pour my beer to get a decent pour. The carbonation remains in the pint served. If I do not do this 3/4 of the glass is foam and the beer below is flat and tastes completely different. I know I am frustrated and ready to give up but I still feel the need to drink what I have brewed. Ya know?

I can't help but think there is some problem with this system.

If it's been asked, sorry. How long is your serving line ?  I start with 10' of 3/16 ID beer line and cut it down (if necessary) in 6" increments until you get the exact pour you want. You'll smile when you do it because the beer will pour perfectly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:10:08 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline oldtymehockey

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:59 pm »
It has been asked but no worries. All of what I am using is from the stock at Northern Brewer in Mpls in the Draft Brewer Flex Keg system.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/draft-brewer-flex-keg-system

According to the links in the description the gas lines are 3 feet and the  so-called "foam free" tubing draft lines are 5 feet. I call BS on their foam free draft lines.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/foam-free-tubing-kit-bl-ball-lock-version

Offline Stevie

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 07:58:17 pm »
I looked it up Jon,  5ft of 3/16. Not enough IMO. That's good for maybe 10psi, 8 is more like it in my opinion.

NB really should be providing 8+ feet minimum. They could and increase the price to maintain their margins.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 08:01:29 pm »
I looked it up Jon,  5ft of 3/16. Not enough IMO. That's good for maybe 10psi, 8 is more like it in my opinion.

NB really should be providing 8+ feet minimum. They could and increase the price to maintain their margins.

Cool. There you go, oldtymehockey. You need more serving line. Do what I recommended and you'll be very happy. That easy.
Jon H.

Offline oldtymehockey

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »
Interesting. This does fall inline with the lack of parts included, lack of comprehensive instructions, and lack of knowledge.

For example:

As a beginner I brew from kits. When I bought my first kit there was no mention of adding sanitizer to the air lock. I know... basic. I should have known that but I was informed the kit instructions would be enough because brewing is as easy as mac and cheese. The second kit I bought stated to add sanitizer to the air lock. I asked why and pointed out that the incomplete instructions (for a beginner) caused my first batch to be bad. They said sorry the instructions should have been better.

Another example is when I bought a Mega Pot. When it leaked I brought it back to the store. Three associates had no idea why certain parts were included and did not know where the washers went. It took the GM and myself working for an hour over a sink to figure it out. Turned out the threads around the thermometer needed teflon tape. No one else knew.

Another example yet is the "Hopstache" black IPA kit from Midwest Supply (the partner company of Northern Brewer). There is a sinamar (spelling may not be correct) in the kit. I opened the kit in the store with the associate. There was no mention of when to add this. He simply took a guess. Then the next week the same kit was used in an intro to brewing presentation. I asked about it. The presenter stated she was not going to use it and she didn't.

Now we arrive at a situation where they are selling lines too short for the system they have assembled?

Can we see how a beginner may not enjoy the hobby? Good thing I love love love good craft beer or I would have not gone this far.

Despite the wonderful people at Northern Brewer and their genuine attempts to help they have fallen short and I am actually disappointed with the local shop in the Twin Cities. I am not sure if I can go them or if I just have to suck it up and chalk it up as experience.

I feel the need for a good solid "Grrrrrrr!!!!"

Offline Stevie

No joy in kegging
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 08:26:19 pm »
Pretty lame considering they are part of the Northern Brewer family. I've always shaken my head when shops have employees with limited experience. Bad shops produce frustrated new brewers.

Find a local brew buddy/mentor. Having a buddy to observe and have around is a huge help. I wouldn't be brewing now if I hadn't gotten into it with my buddy. Also, join a club! They are full of brewers of all experience levels. Many clubs have formal mentor programs as well.

Ohand sinamar, goes into the beer at packaging. I doubt it hurts to add before or during fermentation, but it is made to be added at the very end.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:29:14 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 08:28:18 pm »
I hear what you're saying, but don't give up especially with a solution this easy. There is a lot of draft system info out there that is just plain flawed. There are lots of different draft systems - kegerators, keezers, converted fridge kegerators, etc. They're all different. Kegerators like I use are susceptible to more foaming in the first pint because the line from the tower to the tap isn't chilled (unless you use a fan to cool the tower), so you can't compare to the fridge I used to have where the lines stayed cold inside the fridge.

Bottom line - a Lot of brew shops and retailers try to pound a round peg into a square hole with respect to draft sytems. Here's the truth - you need as long a serving line as you need to get a good pour. Anybody that gives you a set 5 ft line or similar is just plain full of s@#t. Start with 10', cut it down in 6" increments until you get the pour you want. Then THAT'S the length of serving line you need.  ;) Now start enjoying this hobby !
Jon H.

Offline oldtymehockey

• Cellarman
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 08:30:05 pm »
Thanks guys. Maybe I should just move to Indy or TX.  I now know of a couple guys who would be great help! ;D

Offline Stevie

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 08:31:10 pm »
I'm moving to the West Coast, but I hear Indy has some ok brewers. ;)