Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizer Comparison  (Read 12890 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sanitizer Comparison
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »
So the best means of sterilization(at home) would be with Sodium or Calcium hypochlorite.  AKA Bleach...

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

CDC Disinfection and Sterilization (To Highlight)
Bleach
-They have a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity, do not leave toxic residues, are unaffected by water hardness, are inexpensive and fast acting 328, remove dried or fixed organisms and biofilms from surfaces 465, and have a low incidence of serious toxicity

-The microbicidal activity of chlorine is attributed largely to undissociated hypochlorous acid (HOCl). The dissociation of HOCI to the less microbicidal form (hypochlorite ion OCl¯) depends on pH. The disinfecting efficacy of chlorine decreases with an increase in pH that parallels the conversion of undissociated HOCI to OCl¯ 329, 526.

-Alternative compounds that release chlorine and are used in the health-care setting include demand-release chlorine dioxide, sodium dichloroisocyanurate, and chloramine-T. The advantage of these compounds over the hypochlorites is that they retain chlorine longer and so exert a more prolonged bactericidal effect. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate tablets are stable, and for two reasons ... First, with sodium dichloroisocyanurate, only 50% of the total available chlorine is free (HOCl and OCl¯), whereas the remainder is combined (monochloroisocyanurate or dichloroisocyanurate), and as free available chlorine is used up, the latter is released to restore the equilibrium. Second, solutions of sodium dichloroisocyanurate are acidic, whereas sodium hypochlorite solutions are alkaline, and the more microbicidal type of chlorine (HOCl) is believed to predominate 530-533.

-chlorine (e.g., HOCl, OCl-, and elemental chlorine-Cl2) have a biocidal effect on mycoplasma (25 ppm) and vegetative bacteria (<5 ppm) in seconds in the absence of an organic load 329, 418. Higher concentrations (1,000 ppm) of chlorine are required to kill M. tuberculosis using the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC) tuberculocidal test 73. A concentration of 100 ppm will kill ≥99.9% of B. atrophaeus spores within 5 minutes 541, 542 and destroy mycotic agents in <1 hour 329.

-Data are available for chlorine dioxide that support manufacturers' bactericidal, fungicidal, sporicidal, tuberculocidal, and virucidal label claims

All that being reiterated from the CDC I know chlorinated water does not make good tasting beer.  But for means of sterilization prior to a rinse of in distilled water and then air tight (means of a bung and an air lock) with a medium like an PBW/Star San.  Then there is the environmental consideration.  How big of a risk are you at with wild yeast where you are brewing?  I mean a clean environment (not a barn) with clean materials, followed with a standard sanitation seems to be working for thousands of us.  I am bottling with starsan and am currently sterilizing metal utensils in the oven, then to the starsan. Fermenters are getting bleach water, as well as my racking equipment before a dip in the starsan.  I have also considered Isopropyl Alcohol @91% concentration prior to rise, and then air tight Or Ethyl Alcohol, harder to find though.  But apparently that does nothing for mold spores.

Then what about acetic acid? Commerical concentration as a means of sterilizing?  I know nothing about its effects it would take on the fermentation process nor how it reacts with yeast
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:02:09 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »
Peracetic acid is a quality sanitizer (1 Tbs hydrogen peroxide + 1 tsp vinegar + 1 gallon water).

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:09 pm »
I had a mold problem when I used only Star San as my sanitizer.  I had the mold problem arise in extended primaries (more than a month) in a certain plastic barrel primary fermenter.  I couldn't explain it and just quit using the fermenter.  I thought a long soak in PBW and a Star San application would be sufficient, but in the middle of the summer the short window of exposure was enough to cause the mold spores to make contact and then await completion of yeast fermentation before reproducing and taking hold to a level that became evident by taste (and visually).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 07:56:19 pm »
Peracetic acid is a quality sanitizer (1 Tbs hydrogen peroxide + 1 tsp vinegar + 1 gallon water).

That's where I am headed.  Peracetic acid is a highly effective oxidizer, and it breaks down into much more environmentally friendly byproducts than the halogen-based sanitizers.  Plus, your comment about not allowing halogenated solvents to come into contact with piranha solution has me seriously thinking about my use of halogens.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »
Broke down and purchased a 5 gallon bucket of powdered peracetic acid last week.
Awaiting delivery now.  Will report back once I have a used this.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:54 pm »
i'm a fan of hot water and elbow grease.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:48 pm »
i'm a fan of hot water and elbow grease.
Me too. Squeaky clean, starsan, occasionally iodophor. Not going to play amateur chemist, and refuse to introduce chlorine.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
I too would steer well away from having hypochlorite anywhere near the brewery.  Chemist or otherwise....

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:18 am »

That's where I am headed.  Peracetic acid is a highly effective oxidizer, and it breaks down into much more environmentally friendly byproducts than the halogen-based sanitizers.  Plus, your comment about not allowing halogenated solvents to come into contact with piranha solution has me seriously thinking about my use of halogens.
When mixing up this formula for paracetic acid, how long will it last? Is it a use right away thing or could you mix a gallon and keep a container handy?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 12:14:03 pm »
I'm not sold on peracetic acid. I found a paper from an Ag Extension that showed the contact times for mold and spores is quite long (20+ min) unless the concentration is upwards of 300ppm. What is the strength of the solution using the above recipe? Bacteria on the other hand was killed quickly at low concentrations while yeast was middle of the road.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »
I am also not too fond of oxidizer as a sanitizer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 02:23:10 pm »
I'm not sold on peracetic acid. I found a paper from an Ag Extension that showed the contact times for mold and spores is quite long (20+ min) unless the concentration is upwards of 300ppm. What is the strength of the solution using the above recipe? Bacteria on the other hand was killed quickly at low concentrations while yeast was middle of the road.

Depends on the strength of your vinegar but assuming grocery store strength (6-8%) the above will give approximately 150 ppm peracetic acid. I don't use this as a quick rinse solution. I primarily use it as a carboy soak at the beginning of the brew day so contact time is not an issue.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 02:34:08 pm »
I too would steer well away from having hypochlorite anywhere near the brewery.  Chemist or otherwise....

People's fear of hypochlorite is a bit overblown. In a dilute solution the decomposition products are primarily NaCl (salt) and hydroxyl radical (.OH). The hydroxyl radical will eat up organics (crud) to produce water and carboxyl terminated (oxidized) organics or else it self reacts to produce water and oxygen. So your end decomposition products are salt, water, oxygen and chewed up organic crud.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 02:36:33 pm »

When mixing up this formula for paracetic acid, how long will it last? Is it a use right away thing or could you mix a gallon and keep a container handy?

For maximum effectiveness I'd use it fresh made.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 07:59:11 am »

People's fear of hypochlorite is a bit overblown. In a dilute solution the decomposition products are primarily NaCl (salt) and hydroxyl radical (.OH). The hydroxyl radical will eat up organics (crud) to produce water and carboxyl terminated (oxidized) organics or else it self reacts to produce water and oxygen. So your end decomposition products are salt, water, oxygen and chewed up organic crud.

That is what I thought its product were, but there are easy ways to dissolve Cl or NH2Cl out of an liq./aq solution am I right?  Campden tablets (sodium or potassium metabisulfite)? which takes care of some bacteria in your beer, and is a buffer for oxidation in fermentation plus precipitates chlorine and chloramine out of your brew water.  I am sure it is not fool proof, but when the fool drinks beer he can get drunk either way....

Another way which is used by some sanitary engineers with their waste water is Ascorbic Acid (1 gram to 100 gallons) or .01g/gallon I believe
C5H5O5CH2OH + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + HCl + H2O

Ascorbic acid + Hypochlorous acid → Dehydroascorbic acid + Hydrochloric acid + water

and Sodium Ascorbate (2.8:1 C5H5O5CH2ONa:HOCl) doesn't effect the pH of the water
C5H5O5CH2ONa + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + NaCl + H2O

Sodium ascorbate + Hypochlorous acid → Dehydroascorbic acid + Sodium chloride + water

while Ascorbic Acid (Your Vitamin C) will lower the pH and often is used to lower pH in beer anyway.

I mean... Right??
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)