Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ars article claims some comps are considering banning Zymatic brewed entries?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware

...Because we all know that's really all there is to it. Develop an IPA, a blonde, a stout, maybe a seasonal barrel aged sour, then... oh and a pumpkin beer, then go pro. You just... go pro. Yee haw.

Needs more IPA's

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
I totally want one, but I'm so invested in a 5 or 10 gallon workflow, that I would need to take a step back and rethink too much. I would also need to sell a kidney to afford it.

We just had to sell the Sabco. Ha. ;D

I also wasn't too sold on the batch size (I like to make a sh*tton of Pilsner when I can), but that's all been alleviated now. I'm so jazzed up about making all kinds of different beer it's not even funny. Tiny batches of sour beer! Test out a new malt! Test out a new hop! Tiny batch of a huge ABV beer (using a touch of extract, of course)! There are no consequences anymore now that I'm doing little 3 gallon batches and not spend 7+ hours on a brew day. I think I may even use it to make starter wort that I can pressure can - which may help me figure out the efficiencies on this thing.

But seriously, it's a pretty cool little brewery. I never anticipated it getting me this excited about brewing again.
Have you considered a drauflassen schedule for your Pilsner if you want more. Brew and pitch into a big fermenter, brew again later that day or the next, and rack the fresh wort in on top. The yeast will have propagated, and will be ready to go with the fresh wort.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
The article is basically another review, but I was surprised that comps might be considering banning entires. First of all, how would they know? Secondly, why are there so many change resistant farts out there?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/picobrews-dream-of-a-homebrew-appliance-is-not-as-stupid-as-it-sounds/

As a prolific competition entrant myself, I welcome and encourage all who want to enter into competition to do so, regardless of the brewing system they use.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse

Have you considered a drauflassen schedule for your Pilsner if you want more. Brew and pitch into a big fermenter, brew again later that day or the next, and rack the fresh wort in on top. The yeast will have propagated, and will be ready to go with the fresh wort.

Absolutely, just didn't know the real name of it. :) I remember taking a tour a few years ago of Schlafly's Bottleworks, they had a 40 (or 30) BBL Brewhouse and 120 BBL fermenters and said they do that.  A newer brewery in the KC area does it as well, just to keep up with demand. (He has a 7bbl brewhouse with now 14bbl fermenters.)

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
It just makes the win that much sweeter. Tongue in cheek, I believe this is why GABF doesn't allow homebrewers. They dont want to find out that the industry got beat by some redneck with a cooler and a turkey fryer.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
It just makes the win that much sweeter. Tongue in cheek, I believe this is why GABF doesn't allow homebrewers. They dont want to find out that the industry got beat by some redneck with a cooler and a turkey fryer.
My sentiments exactly Jim, of course this semi-red neck has never entered a home brew comp, there is always next time though!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

narvin

It would be detrimental to their main goal: marketing the breweries who pay to join/enter.