Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ars article claims some comps are considering banning Zymatic brewed entries?  (Read 6130 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
PS. Not ragging on Picobrew. But some newbs won't figure out the extras needed to make good beer.

This is absolutely true. I also don't believe that the Zymatic is something that a new brewer could pick up and use to make great beer. "Okay" beer? Probably. Hell, even I'm having struggles figuring it out. Efficiencies are all weird compared to my 'normal' (they change when the mash schedule changes, and expectedly with grain bill size - but the recipe crafter doesn't account for that). The hop utilization seems much lower than what I'm used to, so that still has to be dialed in (again, not accounted for in the online recipe builder). I'm hoping that chilling isn't as big of a PITA as some people say it is (apparently it foams a lot, but that's probably operator error), but I'll find out when I get the CFC hooked up this week.

See, it's nearly foolproof!  ::)

Full disclosure: I have a Zymatic.

A brew magic, a Zymatic. Yes you are an engineer!

Not legally  ;), but yes, I do have some tendencies. Ha!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I totally want one, but I'm so invested in a 5 or 10 gallon workflow, that I would need to take a step back and rethink too much. I would also need to sell a kidney to afford it.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
I totally want one, but I'm so invested in a 5 or 10 gallon workflow, that I would need to take a step back and rethink too much. I would also need to sell a kidney to afford it.

We just had to sell the Sabco. Ha. ;D

I also wasn't too sold on the batch size (I like to make a sh*tton of Pilsner when I can), but that's all been alleviated now. I'm so jazzed up about making all kinds of different beer it's not even funny. Tiny batches of sour beer! Test out a new malt! Test out a new hop! Tiny batch of a huge ABV beer (using a touch of extract, of course)! There are no consequences anymore now that I'm doing little 3 gallon batches and not spend 7+ hours on a brew day. I think I may even use it to make starter wort that I can pressure can - which may help me figure out the efficiencies on this thing.

But seriously, it's a pretty cool little brewery. I never anticipated it getting me this excited about brewing again.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline tommymorris

Ars article claims some comps are considering banning Zymatic brewed entries?
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:57 am »
The author's experience is why I expect to start finding Zymatic's on eBay and craigslist. No temp control equals bad beer.

PS. Not ragging on Picobrew. But some newbs won't figure out the extras needed to make good beer.

No temp control?  What?  I can control mash temps precisely and repeatably.  If you're referring to fermentation, it's no different than any other brewing system.

And who says it's not homebrewing?  Who the hell is trying to define the hobby for ME?  Brew the way you want to and I'll do the same.
I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

I meant fermentation temp control per the article. The author expected great beer and didn't get it because her home got to 90 degrees. She claimed to be a beer person but didn't know to find a way to control fermentation temp. I think (just me) that a lot of the hype around picobrew is about an idiot proof device. I recognize the Pico is targeted to that market. Neither are idiot proof. I think a lot of impulse shoppers will loose interest when the beer is not what they expected.

From the Picobrew Zymatic Kickstarter page:

"Picobrew Zymatic: Automatic Beer Brewing Device"

"Brew award-winning craft beer at the touch of a button!"

PS. I don't know who said it is not homebrewing. Not me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:24:14 am by alestateyall »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

I meant fermentation temp control per the article. The author expected great beer and didn't get it because her home got to 90 degrees. She claimed to be a beer person but didn't know to find a way to control fermentation temp. I think (just me) that a lot of the hype around picobrew is about an idiot proof device. I recognize the Pico is targeted to that market. Neither are idiot proof. I think a lot of impulse shoppers will loose interest when the beer is not what they expected.

From the Picobrew Zymatic Kickstarter page:

"Picobrew Zymatic: Automatic Beer Brewing Device"

"Brew award-winning craft beer at the touch of a button!"

PS. I don't know who said it is not homebrewing. Not me.

No offense taken!  But neither the company or users have ever said that you don't need to deal with fermentation.  To me, "brew" doesn't include fermentation, although I can see how newbies might not catch the difference.  But as Amanda said, this probably isn't going to be something that a new brewer buys.  The manual even covers it.  It's really no different than any other new brewer fermenting beer at too high a temp.  The machine produces the wort...you take it from there.  Neither the machine nor the company is at fault for people's lack of knowledge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

The cool think is, with small batches a sub $100 dorm fridge will serve well as a fermentation chamber.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
To me, "brew" doesn't include fermentation, although I can see how newbies might not catch the difference.
So, once the boil is over the brewer gets to go home? Or extract brewers don't actually brew beer? Not sure where you logic comes from, but since the dictionary doesn't agree with it, I can also see how newbies might not catch the difference.

brew
v. brewed, brew·ing, brews
v.tr.
1. To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
To me, "brew" doesn't include fermentation, although I can see how newbies might not catch the difference.
So, once the boil is over the brewer gets to go home? Or extract brewers don't actually brew beer? Not sure where you logic comes from, but since the dictionary doesn't agree with it, I can also see how newbies might not catch the difference.

brew
v. brewed, brew·ing, brews
v.tr.
1. To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation.

Screw the dictionary...to me, brewing is wort production.  After that, it's fermentation, not brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Screw the dictionary...to me, brewing is wort production.  After that, it's fermentation, not brewing.

Not saying I don't agree. I guess that "American Homefermentationist Association" doesn't have the same ring to it.  :P

Offline Stevie

Not saying I don't agree. I guess that "American Homefermentationist Association" doesn't have the same ring to it.  :P
But then it would need to include fermented foods as well.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
Imagine the backlash is a comp did this.  I get friendly ribbing from my club members when I tell them I won a medal in cider when my based is Mott's apple juice and not freshly pressed, unpasteurized cider.  If this was a requirement, my wall would have a lot less medals on it.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

But by definition, there's still brewing involved...hence the name.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Unless you're an extract brewer  . . .

not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Brewers make wort.  Yeast makes beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Unless you're an extract brewer  . . .

not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)

still brewing IMO

www.dennybrew.com