Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 Amarillo  (Read 3978 times)

Offline vernitron

• 1st Kit
2014 Amarillo
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has recently purchased Amarillo pellets from Yakima Valley Hops. I purchased some (a little over a month ago), and it looks (actually smells and tastes) like they are bad. :( I have never purchased bad hops before. The IPA I made with them and with Citra pellets (also from YVH) is horrible, undrinkable for me. To try and figure our what went wrong, I first soaked some Citra pellets in RO water and that smells and tastes fine. I did the same thing with the Amarillo and it is awful. I can't describe the aroma.  When I opened the bag on brewday I really didn't notice any off aroma, but I had never used Amarillo before. Now that I have brewed with this batch I can definitely smell the badness. I am not raggin on YVH, its my own fault. Just curious if anyone else experienced this. I had read the 2013 amarillo crop was bad.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: 2014 Amarillo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:29:01 pm »
I seriously doubt that something would go bad with hops.  They get old after a while but they get a cheesy aroma.  Have you worked with Amarillo before?  It could be that you just don't like the hop.  Some people are very sensitive to very specific flavors.  Can you describe the bad flavor?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:49:04 pm »
Personally, I thought last year's Amarillo hop crop was bad. I bought a pound and every beer I've made with them wasn't right. It's kind of grassy and bitter, I thought.
Jesse

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »
I think it is a stretch to say the entire year's crop of a hop is bad based on a pound that you've gotten.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:55:35 pm »
You should take the beer to a homebrew club meeting to have others smell it.

Does it smell like cat pee?

Onion? Garlic? Cheese?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:49 pm »
I have been amazed at the difference between of hop lots within the same variety.  Different blocks in the same farm, different age of hop plants, different farms and different weather in a given year.  All of these things make for dramatically different aroma/flavor profiles.  That is why brewers go to the hop companies during harvest to evaluate different lots and choose which ones they want for the flavor profile they want in their beer.  What one doesn't want, another brewer does.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:09:14 pm »
My experience with simcoe (I know, different hop) is that it's qualities vary greatly depending on usage. I hate it as a bittering hop. Dislike it later in the boil. Love it in whirlpool. I don't dry hop anymore, but have dry hopped simcoe in the past and thought it was good, but in my opinion it really shines in whirlpool

So I wonder if Amarillo is similar
I also wonder if the OP just doesn't like Amarillo

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 07:35:49 am »
i wonder if you didn't get a mixup with Apollo - they're close in name.

Apollo as a dryhop smells like wet garbage to me.

I love it as a bittering hop though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:50:38 am »
So I wonder if Amarillo is similar
I also wonder if the OP just doesn't like Amarillo

I've made all Amarillo IPAs and Ambers and it works fine for all additions, IME (bittering, late, dry).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:05:32 am »
My 2104 Amarillo pellets from YVH are nice and pretty true to the character I've gotten from Amarillo in other years. I also wonder if the wrong hop got shipped.
Jon H.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:16 am »
I personally only like Amarillo in small additions in the whirlpool and dry hopped. I've done single hop beers with Amarillo and did not like it. Different strokes for different folks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vernitron

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:31 pm »
Thanks to everyone that replied. I wish I could describe the aroma, unfortunately i don't have any words for it. It is not cheesy or oniony or garlicy. I have smelled cheesy old hops before. I don't have any experience with onion or garlic type hops. On another forum someone stated they get a BO aroma and cat pee. I don't really get that, but perhaps BO is the closest descriptor.

From the HopUnion website regarding Amarillo
Aroma

Floral, tropical, and citrus (lemon, orange and grapefruit) characteristics

I get none of the above.

Thanks again.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 08:07:31 pm »

And yet my experience with Apollo is quite different - navel orange with a nice dank undertone. Just goes to show how much variation there can be between one crop and another.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 08:01:03 am »

And yet my experience with Apollo is quite different - navel orange with a nice dank undertone. Just goes to show how much variation there can be between one crop and another.

I'd be willing to test it out again - I did about 1 dozen different dryhop tests using Bertus' Budweiser method.  The Apollo was disliked by everyone at my club meeting, and I've never used it as a dryhop in a full batch as a result.  Given your opinion, i'll test try it in a bottle one more time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline adaul456

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 08:23:33 pm »
No experience with 2014 Amarillo, but I had a pound of 2013 that were terrible.  Amarillo was one of my favorite hops to that point, so it took a while before convincing myself it was the hops.  They had a harsh character when used for bittering, an almost meaty flavor and a weird musky, sweaty aroma when added late.  I actually received judges comments that said it smelled "like sweaty old man."  With short supply and high demand for the hop, maybe what makes its way to the homebrew market is whatever is left.  I'll happily drink commercial beers showcasing Amarillo, but when brewing myself, there are plenty of other hops I like that are easier to get and (so far) have been more consistent.