Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilling The Wort: No Chill vs. Quick Chill | xBmt Results!  (Read 19128 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Chilling The Wort: No Chill vs. Quick Chill | xBmt Results!
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:53 pm »
Man, can't stop checking this thread, brutal. Maybe we should set up a cage match at the next home brewers conference?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:07 pm »
Can someone point me to the Brülosopher exbeeriment on Munich Helles with Kolsch yeast versus 34/70? I can't find it on his site. I just find a similar Marzen exbeeriment.

RPIScotty

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2015, 04:44:10 am »
Can someone point me to the Brülosopher exbeeriment on Munich Helles with Kolsch yeast versus 34/70? I can't find it on his site. I just find a similar Marzen exbeeriment.

That was the one he was referencing:

http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/13/lager-fermentation-traditional-yeast-vs-hybrid-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2015, 05:38:37 am »
You two need to take it off line.

Thanks.

Thanks Joe.

Seriously, I have never minded that a thread derails because I think there is a lot that can be learned from sideways conversations (I know this irritates some of you but I sometimes learn more for 'derailed" threads than I do one's that have already covered a topic and would have otherwise died.). But lets treat each other with respect, please. It is the law of the forum. Obviously we aren't always going to agree but there's no reason to be jerks to each other.

RPIScotty

« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2015, 05:44:54 am »
You two need to take it off line.

Thanks.

Thanks Joe.

Seriously, I have never minded that a thread derails because I think there is a lot that can be learned from sideways conversations (I know this irritates some of you but I sometimes learn more for 'derailed" threads than I do one's that have already covered a topic and would have otherwise died.). But lets treat each other with respect, please. It is the law of the forum. Obviously we aren't always going to agree but there's no reason to be jerks to each other.

I've reached out to the Lager fellows via PM to square things away. Everyone has bad days. I let the ease of internet nastiness get the better of me.

Joe Sr. brought some much needed gravity to the discussion. I agreed 100%.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2015, 05:46:41 am »

http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/13/lager-fermentation-traditional-yeast-vs-hybrid-yeast-exbeeriment-results/
Are you sure? That exbeeriment compares a Fest beer made with 34/70 vs wlp029.   But I keep reading that people can't distinguish Munich Helles made with 34/70 vs wlp029.

RPIScotty

« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2015, 05:50:06 am »

Are you sure? That exbeeriment compares a Fest beer made with 34/70 vs wlp029.   But I keep reading that people can't distinguish Munich Helles made with 34/70 vs wlp029.

That was the one Marshall linked earlier in the thread. I don't think he meant to point towards a Helles experiment with those yeasts, but rather was pointing out the yeast in general.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2015, 07:55:28 am »
Since this thread has been one giant derail anyway, I'll say that the fact that 029 is so mild (and dare say sort of lager like) is exactly why I prefer 2565 for kolsch. It's just a better kolsch strain IMO, aside from being a PITA to clear.

Agree with this, my Kolsch is almost ready for clearing.  I used 029 and GY021.  The 021 tastes to me to be the same strain as 2565, which I like better.  The 029 is more lagerish.  I like both, but for Kolsch my favorite in this split batch is the GY021.  I could be wrong with out a side by side. 
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2015, 08:54:37 am »
Since this thread has been one giant derail anyway, I'll say that the fact that 029 is so mild (and dare say sort of lager like) is exactly why I prefer 2565 for kolsch. It's just a better kolsch strain IMO, aside from being a PITA to clear.

Agree with this, my Kolsch is almost ready for clearing.  I used 029 and GY021.  The 021 tastes to me to be the same strain as 2565, which I like better.  The 029 is more lagerish.  I like both, but for Kolsch my favorite in this split batch is the GY021.  I could be wrong with out a side by side. 

Never used GY021 - may need to give it a shot. Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
To further derail... For the curious, do you know the equations (or have a link to them) for calculating boiling water additions for such a step mash?

Here's a good start, for you:
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/the-methods-of-mashing/calculations-for-boiling-water-additions

Thanks. I know I've seen these before.  :)

Unfortunately, I think something in the formula given might be lacking.
For sure, the specific heat & mass of your vessel are missing, but that's usually a small factor.
To me, there also seems to be a comparison portion of the formula missing.
I'll have to dig some more.
But, that information will get you extremely close.

There is a real nice thread over at HBT where a gentleman went though and derived the equation from its basis in thermodynamics and then compared it to Palmers simplification in HTB. If I can find it I'll post it. It may have the missing pieces your talking about.

Palmer simplified the equation for general use.

EDIT: found it - https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24895.msg318648#msg318648

Awesome, thanks for the link. Will be reading this at work and seeing if my memory of my heat and thermo class will suffice :)