Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beerdust  (Read 1236 times)

Offline flatlander

• 1st Kit
Beerdust
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:14:24 am »
Any info on beerdust?

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Fred Durst
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:42 am »
Fred Durst?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Beerdust
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:19:17 am »
Ziggy Stardust?
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:40:12 am »
Interesting concept.  I wish they would show what is included in the packet.

I'd guess it would get you close enough, but I think it leave too much to guessing.  I'll stick with buying my additions and using Brun Water
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »
They were at NHC, and I chatted with them.

I think they have a product aimed at the new all grain Brewer. They don't take the tap water into their product, it is one packet for a given style. Grist make up is not considered. It is similar to when I put one tsp gypsum into everything, but they have a few more minerals in their packets.

It might help some. I have the gram scale, RO water, a pH meter, and targets from Brunwater, so it is not for me.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »
I have not heard of this but can I assume this is sort of like 5.2 Mash stuff?  I can't even remember the name of it and I have a big container of it that is like 95% full.  Without taking the brewer's water into account, how can the product do its thing?  I carefully look at every style I make and make my water and mineral adjustments based on what I know about my source water and what I expect from the beer.  Hmm.  I have had a few newer brewers email me asking me things like, "My beers have no depth and they lack maltiness!" and after some digging we find that the water has 2ppm chloride and 150ppm sulfate and then I ask the brewer, "do you add anything to the mash?" and he says, "Yeah, 5 tbsp. of gypsum because my friend told me to!".  DOH!  :D  I don't see how one "catch-all" product is going to properly do this.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »
Definitely looks like a step up from 5.2, but a notch or two below Brunwater + RO. Gonna stick with what I do.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »
Definitely looks like a step up from 5.2, but a notch or two below Brunwater + RO. Gonna stick with what I do.
Yeah, I feel like you just have to know the little details so you can make adjustments or whatever.  If it's targeted at new AG brewers, I understand.  I also understand that water and mash pH is not necessarily going to resonate with everyone who gets into brewing so a "tool" like this could be good for some.  I know that the majority of brewers "poo-pooed" the 5.2 stabilizer and I must have too because I just went down to my beer bunker to find it and it's gone... I threw it out!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »
Same here Jon, very happy with my RO & Bru'NWater results for the last year
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »
I have not heard of this but can I assume this is sort of like 5.2 Mash stuff?  I can't even remember the name of it and I have a big container of it that is like 95% full.  Without taking the brewer's water into account, how can the product do its thing?  I carefully look at every style I make and make my water and mineral adjustments based on what I know about my source water and what I expect from the beer.  Hmm.  I have had a few newer brewers email me asking me things like, "My beers have no depth and they lack maltiness!" and after some digging we find that the water has 2ppm chloride and 150ppm sulfate and then I ask the brewer, "do you add anything to the mash?" and he says, "Yeah, 5 tbsp. of gypsum because my friend told me to!".  DOH!  :D  I don't see how one "catch-all" product is going to properly do this.
It is not like 5.2. It is a blend of brewing salts for different styles. A one size fits all approach. So grist and base water chemistry are not taken into account. It might help some reach their goals.

http://beerdust.com

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:26:37 pm »
Since it's designed to be used with RO or distilled water and targets some broad general styles, it is probably more useful than 5.2.
That said, I'll just stick to my gram scale, brewing salts and Brunwater.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan