Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Short & Shoddy | My 1 Hour All Grain Brew Day  (Read 3131 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Short & Shoddy | My 1 Hour All Grain Brew Day
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:01:28 am »
Have you ever wondered what a beer made with old Pils malt, old hops, expired yeast, mashed for 15 minutes, boiled for 15 minutes, and chilled in a water bath would taste like? I did, so I figured I'd give it a shot. If you're curious how this short and shoddy brew turned out, read on!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/12/short-shoddy-my-1-hour-all-grain-brew-day/

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Short & Shoddy | My 1 Hour All Grain Brew Day
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:21 am »
"I think some were relived when I informed them this blind tasting wouldn’t involve a digital survey"

I seriously choked on my coffee and some went out of my nose when I read this line ^^^(I am a NP and "digital survey" to me means a prostate check)

Nice blog post dude, mind exploding....
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:30:38 am »
Pretty cool, grains didn't happen to have been precrushed for 2 years did they? I personally think that, if stored properly, uncrushed grains can last 2 years no problem.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:12:41 am »
Cool stuff - anyone read that article the dude from Harpoon put out stating their boston brewery was the perfect spot to hide out during a zombie apocalypse? One of the selling points was enough grain and hops to make beer indefinitely... this sounds like a nice test of how these old grains and hops will fare haha.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:02 am »
For one thing this is a good reminder about how forgiving beer can be. We can get lost in brewing chemistry, mash temps etc. but you can put together a perfectly good beer without much planning if you have the basics down. While I have not done a 15 minute mash and boil, a lot of my brew days are similar to the one Marshall describes: I realize I have a little bit of time, I see what I have for ingredients, figure out water volumes on the back of an envelope, grind grain into a bag while a kettle of water with a teaspoon of gypsum comes up to temp and go. I don't know if my very best beers were made this way but never any bad ones.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:33 am »
This is rather surprising, indeed. Thanks for posting.
Jesse

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:54:27 am »
This also reminds me that I have been meaning to get some heat resistant silicone gloves for my biab batches, although I am going to get longer ones.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
Pretty cool, grains didn't happen to have been precrushed for 2 years did they? I personally think that, if stored properly, uncrushed grains can last 2 years no problem.
They were not precrushed. He had a picture showing the grains in the mill while crushing.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:42:21 am »
That was a fun read, Marshall. It's pretty satisfying to clean out some old ingredients with low expectations only to come out with a reasonably good result....

...but I wouldn't call it a Helles  :o

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:29:16 pm »
I can see this technique being handy for making small experimental batches to try out new ingredients and stranger recipes. I'd be inclined to do just just one gallon so it's even quicker to heat/boil/chill and drain the bag (I note chilling still took 4 hours). Could be great fun as you'd get to brew more often without giving up too much time.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »
They were not precrushed. He had a picture showing the grains in the mill while crushing.

Ha! Thanks. I was in a hurry this AM and skimmed down to the conclusion.

Offline tommymorris

Short & Shoddy | My 1 Hour All Grain Brew Day
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »
Cool stuff - anyone read that article the dude from Harpoon put out stating their boston brewery was the perfect spot to hide out during a zombie apocalypse? One of the selling points was enough grain and hops to make beer indefinitely... this sounds like a nice test of how these old grains and hops will fare haha.
Why is planning for brewing during the zombie apocalypse not a category on this forum.? That is an important, oft overlooked, issue. If we don't plan ahead we will have to drink old cans of duff or this stuff...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:59:08 pm by alestateyall »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 04:17:05 pm »

I'm ready.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 05:44:31 pm »

"I think some were relived when I informed them this blind tasting wouldn’t involve a digital survey"

I seriously choked on my coffee and some went out of my nose when I read this line ^^^(I am a NP and "digital survey" to me means a prostate check)

Nice blog post dude, mind exploding....

That's hilarious.
That was a fun read, Marshall. It's pretty satisfying to clean out some old ingredients with low expectations only to come out with a reasonably good result....

...but I wouldn't call it a Helles  :o

I made sure not to label the beer in this one...

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:00 am »
I will start by saying I am a novice.  I wonder if the 15 minute mash worked well because of the small size of the mash.  As I typed that I thought that with more grain there would be more water, so the #s of grain probably don't matter as much as I had originally thought.