Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!  (Read 8902 times)

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
Re: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »
I found this xbmnt after searching 2565.  I was checking ingredients for a honey wheat recipe someone here shared and it called for 2565, but my local homebrew store only carries white labs liquid yeast and various dry yeasts.  I know I can order it but a quick stop for one or two things means knowing what strain to swap for ones I can't get.  Also I have minimal temp control (brewing in my pantry keep the house pretty cold 60-62) so of suggested strains I sometimes have to pick the one best suited to my temps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
WLP029 is a good subtitute and drops out faster than 2565 as well as sticking down better in the bottle.

Another Kolsch yeast I can recommend is Colonia F, a dry yeast that you can order direct from Germany from http://www.brauwerkstatt.com/. Just e-mail the info e-mail address to sort out payment via paypal. It's under $3 a packet and a lot more convenient than liquid yeast. A few of the brewers on http://www.maischemalzundmehr.de/ use it. Not sure about shipping costs to the US but to me in the UK it was 4 euros - obviously works out better if you buy a few packets. The site also sells Nottingham and some other dry German yeasts.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:58:31 pm by charles1968 »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
I found this xbmnt after searching 2565.  I was checking ingredients for a honey wheat recipe someone here shared and it called for 2565, but my local homebrew store only carries white labs liquid yeast and various dry yeasts.  I know I can order it but a quick stop for one or two things means knowing what strain to swap for ones I can't get.  Also I have minimal temp control (brewing in my pantry keep the house pretty cold 60-62) so of suggested strains I sometimes have to pick the one best suited to my temps.

I think you're talking about my recipe.  You know what?  Yeast doesn't matter much in this recipe.  You can go ahead and use US-05 or Notty or WLP029 if you want and it will turn out just fine.  Get whatever's cheap.  I think you're going to like it regardless of yeast.  The malts are what matters in this recipe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »
Yep that's the one.  I was really surprised my local only had the brand of liquid yeast.  Am eager to brew that, and I have some local honey (always use local)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk