Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH of German Pils  (Read 4967 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: pH of German Pils
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 11:12:39 am »
pH readings of commercial beer:
http://embracethefunk.com/ph-readings-of-commercial-beers/

At a guess the average looks like 3.75. Looks like they were tested while still carbonated just after pouring.

Looks like it's all sours, neat page tho. Would love to see the same sort of thing with other styles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »
pH readings of commercial beer:
http://embracethefunk.com/ph-readings-of-commercial-beers/

At a guess the average looks like 3.75. Looks like they were tested while still carbonated just after pouring.

Looks like it's all sours, neat page tho. Would love to see the same sort of thing with other styles.

All sour and tart/wild ales.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:06 pm »
Doh! I wondered why I didn't recognise them.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:58 am »
This may seem hard to believe but I just ran across some Ward Labs reports from some samples I sent in.  One sample was some bulk RO water I was getting at the grocery store and I was suspicious about what was in it.  As long as I was sending something to them, I thought it would be cool to get an analysis on something else we might all be interested in... so I sent them a bottle of Pilsner Urquell.  I thought it would be interesting to see what the mineral content was and also the pH.  Turns out that the pH of Pilsner Urquell (according to Ward Labs) is 4.5.  There are also other numbers that Ward provides in their standard "household W6" test.  If anyone is interested in any of the other numbers, let me know and I will post them.  I kind of forgot I did this.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 11:54:52 am »
This may seem hard to believe but I just ran across some Ward Labs reports from some samples I sent in.  One sample was some bulk RO water I was getting at the grocery store and I was suspicious about what was in it.  As long as I was sending something to them, I thought it would be cool to get an analysis on something else we might all be interested in... so I sent them a bottle of Pilsner Urquell.  I thought it would be interesting to see what the mineral content was and also the pH.  Turns out that the pH of Pilsner Urquell (according to Ward Labs) is 4.5.  There are also other numbers that Ward provides in their standard "household W6" test.  If anyone is interested in any of the other numbers, let me know and I will post them.  I kind of forgot I did this.

Interesting - another data point that lines up with the Weyeran slides (they put czech lagers at 4.5-4.8). I found that interesting since they also say keeping it below 4.3 is best for foam stability, head retention, and better for microbiological stability (althought what exactly that means I'm not sure... spoilage?)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:45 pm »
I was surprised that it was 4.5 because the readings I took were more in the 4.0 to 4.4 range (on other beers) but I also measured those when cold and carbed which I'm sure is just wrong.  I also don't know if Ward Labs degassed the Pilsner Urquell or not but I do trust their measurements.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 12:51:54 pm »
I was surprised that it was 4.5 because the readings I took were more in the 4.0 to 4.4 range (on other beers) but I also measured those when cold and carbed which I'm sure is just wrong.  I also don't know if Ward Labs degassed the Pilsner Urquell or not but I do trust their measurements.  Cheers.

yep you have to degas. i have been mashing my pils at about 5.4-5.5, dropping PH in kettle to about 5 and targeting final PH of around 4.4 for mine.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: