Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pearl vs Maris Otter  (Read 8300 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Pearl vs Maris Otter
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Hello fellow home brewers!  It's been some time since my last log on, sorry.  But I need some opinions ASAP.

I'm brewing v.3 of my Heady Topper clone.  Version 2 was VERY close and I think I need slight hop adjustments.  That being said, I'm scheduled to brew tomorrow with my buddy, but life as usual got in the way and I forgot to order Pearl malt.  My LHBS has Maris Otter which I think will not make a discernible difference, but the purest in me needs to check with my peeps. 

What say you all?  How will MO change the outcome from Pearl?

-Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pearl vs Maris Otter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:07:33 am »
I don't think it will make a discernible difference in a beer like that with so much hop character. I'd use the MO.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:30:30 am »
I'm not really familiar with Pearl, but MO has a pretty distinct flavor (IMO) and may also produce a slightly darker beer.

If you can get it, you might be better off with a pale ale malt or just some plain 2-row.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:04:47 pm »
I don't think it will make a discernible difference in a beer like that with so much hop character. I'd use the MO.

From what I've read, The Alchemist uses Pearl due to it's breadiness and ability to support the hop character.  I'm hoping MO will not be so far off that it changes the beer entirely.  I just don't know enough about grain or have the palate.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »
I'm not really familiar with Pearl, but MO has a pretty distinct flavor (IMO) and may also produce a slightly darker beer.

If you can get it, you might be better off with a pale ale malt or just some plain 2-row.

I have a sack of Breiss Pale Ale malt but I don't think it will stand up to the hop profile.  Per my last post, I think that's why they chose Pearl or something similar.  Hoping MO is closer than further away.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:30:03 pm »

I have a sack of Breiss Pale Ale malt but I don't think it will stand up to the hop profile.  Per my last post, I think that's why they chose Pearl or something similar.  Hoping MO is closer than further away.....

Dave
If I were in your shoes I think I would do something like a 50/50 blend of the MO and pale 2 row malt. MO is fairly distinctive and might not be a great base malt at 100% but combined with 2 row might get you where you want.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:40:27 pm »

Dave

I think you'll make good beer regardless, Dave. I'd just say that Russian River makes some mighty fine IPAs/IIPAs with domestic 2 row and pretty aggressive hopping. Go with what sounds good to you. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »
I've made an IPA with Maris otter base malt out of convenience. It worked out fine. Never used Pearl as it is it isn't available local to me.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 06:01:47 pm »
You might try 2/3 MO + 1/3 2-row or 1/2 and 1/2...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:18:36 pm »
I just finished a 50/50 2 row, MO and happy with it.  Munich in there too. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:52 pm »

Any sports coach would notice that you gave 110%!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:40 pm »
Pearl is my standard British malt.  It definitely does not taste like Maris Otter (MO).  Pearl has a refined bready flavor that is very clean for a British malt. Maris Otter has a much stronger flavor that is more biscuit than bread.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
Pearl vs Maris Otter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 08:57:13 pm »

Any sports coach would notice that you gave 110%!
Yeah I was real happy with the taste on this.    Hopefully the Blackhawks put 110% in tomorrow when they the Blues.  I will be there watching.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »
I really like Pearl...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:10:34 am »
Great advice guys!  I like the idea of a mix a LOT.  I think we will taste all malts available and come up with a plan.  I knew the forum would set me right!!  ;)

I'll report back.....

Dave
Dave Zach