Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Hopping  (Read 3014 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Hopping
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:35 am »
As I mash in my modified Janet's Brown, I started to wonder if mash hops can lower mash pH. No pH meter to test, just a thought.

If you mean due to alpha acids, everything I've read says that there is so little acid it has no effect on pH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Mash Hopping
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »
I'm going to say no, or not enough to make any difference.  I measure pH like a lot lately. The pH shift between preboil and post boil doesn't seem to be corollary to hops. On one occasion I get a .2 pH drop during the boil, usually little to no drop. I think that first noticed .2 pH drop may have been operator error. Anyway, results seem to be fairly the same regardless of hopping rates or AAUs. So if 4 extra ounces of simcoe/mosaic dont change the boil pH, I doubt that a couple ounces of hops changes the mash pH.

Think about it this way. Supposedly, .15ml of 88% Lactic per pound of grain bill will drop .1 pH. So in a 10 pound grain bill thats 1.5 ml to drop .1 pH. Lactic is a weak acid, i assume that hop acids are too. But 88% is quit a strong concentration compared to 4-15%, not to mention utilization... even at a boil, hop acids are not being utilized anywhere near how the 88% lactic is being utilized. I dont have a clue how readily hop acids give up hydrogen ions, but I have a feeling its not on the same level as lactic. It seems too that a lot of us who add hops at whirlpool in ~170F for 30 minutes aren't detecting any additional bitterness from the acids. At a <160F mash there probably is near zero utilization.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:16:50 pm by klickitat jim »