Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Bohemian floor-malted pils...  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Weyermann Bohemian floor-malted pils...
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »
I mentioned in another thread that I have been using Durst, Avangard and Best Malz Pils for a long time.  I ordered about 20 lbs of Weyermann "regular" pils from NB and used some in a beer today.  After my brewday I went to the LHBS and thought I would grab some more but the only Weyermann Pils they had was the floor-malted stuff.  Can anyone shed some light on what I might do differently with this stuff?  I thought I remember others mentioning that it is less-modified.  I also remember someone telling me that they would NOT brew with it unless they were step-mashing (which is a nightmare for me because I don't have a direct-fired MT).  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Weyermann Bohemian floor-malted pils...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »
I have used at least two or three sacks of it in the past couple years.  I did not find a need to do a step mash.  If anything it is slightly less consistent than the regular pils malt, but not by much.  I think it has a little deeper flavor and may be just slightly darker.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:54:21 pm »
Yes it has more complex flavor and good extract. I step mash it but I do not think you have to.

Good malt. You will like it. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:07:18 pm »
Someone also mentioned that they thought it had a very Earthy flavor (read: dirt) to it as well.  Any thoughts on that?  I admit that I have experienced base grain that had that sort of "dirty" character to it.  I already have this malt and plan to use it for sure so my guess is that I will do something like a helles with it and do a single infusion mash around 150° or so.  Thanks gang... much appreciated.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
Someone also mentioned that they thought it had a very Earthy flavor (read: dirt) to it as well.  Any thoughts on that?  I admit that I have experienced base grain that had that sort of "dirty" character to it.  I already have this malt and plan to use it for sure so my guess is that I will do something like a helles with it and do a single infusion mash around 150° or so.  Thanks gang... much appreciated.

You are confusing base malt flavor with Fuggles.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »

I love Fuggle's earthiness, but I too have experienced earthy smelling and tasting floor-malted barley.  I find that most floor-malted Maris Otter has an earthy, musty aroma and flavor.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 09:24:37 pm »

I find that most floor-malted Maris Otter has an earthy, musty aroma and flavor.

That has not been my experience with it.

Oh, and I'm a fuggles fan too.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:38:43 am »
The Weyermann Floor malted Bohemian Pilsner I used last spring made fine BoPils, German Pils and Octoberfest.  The flavors may be more variable sack to sack, but then I must have gotten a good sack.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:34 am »
I've found this malt to be more complex in flavor too.  I've never felt I needed to step mash it, although I'm going to on my next batch.  I'm on my 4th sack of it.  I'd use it the same as any other pils.  The Kolsch I just made with it is fantastic.  I do get a touch more haze from it, all be it very little.  After reading the thread Kolbach and the step mashes, I'm going to brew the same beer and compare.  I still like to blend my pils base malts.  I'd like to blend this with Best and see what it gives me. 
Jeff B

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:38:17 am »
I do get a touch more haze from it, all be it very little.

That was my experience with this malt and the Floor Malted Maris Otter. Otherwise, I saw no other discernible  difference.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 12:13:39 pm »
I haven't seen any extra haze with the Warminster product. w

Just my limited experience but with this Weyermann floor malted pils I have 2-3 times now used a short 7-8 minute protein rest at 131F and had zero chill haze, and no noticeable body or head retention issues.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »
Guys:  Thanks for the replies... I appreciate it.  I have gotten some feedback about doing some simple step mashing (adding boiling water, etc) and I have also heard back from some who think that doing a single infusion is completely reasonable.  I think it would be best for me to try it with a single infusion since that is my normal process.  If the resulting beer comes out "unusual" for some reason, I could either address the step mashing routine or avoid the malt.  I'll be honest... I'm not looking to make brewing any more complicated at the moment.  Cheers & thanks again.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 03:48:24 pm »

I find that most floor-malted Maris Otter has an earthy, musty aroma and flavor.

That has not been my experience with it.
Oh, and I'm a fuggles fan too.

I've been through a few sacks of floor malted Maris Otter and have not experienced the earthy, musty aroma or flavor.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel