Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: can someone explain  (Read 10977 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: can someone explain
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:31 am »
Once you see how beautiful the gulf is ... or used to be ... you'd understand.

+1. Go to Sanibel Island once, and watch the dolphins play off shore. Nothing like it. Oh, and Major, you and the family are welcome to spend this summers vacation with me, in Idaho.  :D

Thanks. Don't be surprised if I take you up on that.  8)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
As far as the oil, I can't believe a plan wasn't already in place. Always plan for the worst case scenario and all the other problems will already be taken care of.

What's even more unbelievable is that despite there not being a plan to deal with this our government, that's right our's, still gave them the go-ahead and the necessary permits. 

We can't have the government intruding on the rights of corporations to make money, that would be unamerican :)

That's fine and OK.   But things will change now that we have one of the worst disasters in the history of this country.

This is absolutely dispicable. The effects of this disaster will be unprecedented. What a crying shame this is...

...and who will be held accountable?

...or better yet who should be held accountable?

Some lawyers are going to make alot of money on this one.
Ron Price

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 01:50:03 pm »
That's fine and OK.   But things will change now that we have one of the worst disasters in the history of this country.

This is absolutely dispicable. The effects of this disaster will be unprecedented. What a crying shame this is...

I disagree after watching two members of our fine goverment saying we need to keep drilling and its only 1 disaster in the history of gulf drilling :o  < yesterdays “Hardball with Chris Matthews,”  >

Nothing will change as people need cheap gas and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it, sounds like a junkie looking for the next fix

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:52:04 pm by uthristy »

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »
Today Obama said "the gulf will be better than it was before the spill" meaning, after the clean-up efforts have taken place and this administration along with BP have used all the resources to clean the mess up the gulf will be restored.  

I don't know why he made such a comment.  I don't think it is possible to clean such a mess up.  The Exxon Valdez Alaskan Oil spill is still not completely cleaned up and Obama makes this comment.  Why?

I think i'm going to watch the laker game tonight instead of watching his address to the nation.  What a Tragedy :-[

I some how feel I'm indirectly contributing to this oil company's spill.  I feel guilty because I gas my car up and use oil everyday.  Furthermore, I feel like the money I used to pay for the gas and other BP products is a saying i support you BP and other mismanaged oil companies.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:45:33 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »
And now lightning hits a ship in the cleanup effort and starts a fire...almost sounds like someone doesn't want us to clean up the oil...
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »
We can't have the government intruding on the rights of corporations to make money, that would be unamerican :)

...and who will be held accountable?

...or better yet who should be held accountable?

Some lawyers are going to make alot of money on this one.

My comment was more tongue in cheek. I think we should try and plug the hole with BP executives and people who put "drill baby drill" bumper stickers on their cars ;D

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 03:12:39 pm »
To lighten the mood: BP's new logo

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »
I disagree after watching two members of our fine goverment saying we need to keep drilling and its only 1 disaster in the history of gulf drilling :o  < yesterdays “Hardball with Chris Matthews,”  >

Chris Matthews doesn't know much.

Google "Ixtoc 1".  It was down by the Yucatan, but still the Gulf of Mexico.   It did come to the US shore.   From a quick google search.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/06/12/1228624/ixtoc-offshore-well-gulfs-other.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »

Chris Matthews doesn't know much.

It wasn't that talking head Chris Matthews but BOTH politicians from BOTH parties who BOTH were saying we need to keep drilling, regardless of the damages from this disaster.

Thats why I say we're doomed, history is something to learn from and not forget:

~~~~~~~~~~~July 15, 1979.

Energy will be the immediate test of our ability to unite this nation, and it can also be the standard around which we rally. On the battlefield of energy we can win for our nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny.

In little more than two decades we've gone from a position of energy independence to one in which almost half the oil we use comes from foreign countries, at prices that are going through the roof. Our excessive dependence on OPEC has already taken a tremendous toll on our economy and our people. This is the direct cause of the long lines which have made millions of you spend aggravating hours waiting for gasoline. It's a cause of the increased inflation and unemployment that we now face. This intolerable dependence on foreign oil threatens our economic independence and the very security of our nation. The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our nation. These are facts and we simply must face them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next president came in and promptly removed the solor planels from the roof saying “That’s enough of that!”.
Between 1981 and 1986, the Reagan administration cut funding for renewable energy research and public renewable energy tax credits by 90%.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »

Thanks. Don't be surprised if I take you up on that.  8)

Looking forward to it. And as always, pants optional.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »
Why isn't anybody screaming about the loss (extinction?) of animal life and habitat over that?   ;)

Uhhhhmmmm.... because we don't eat horned toads, sidewinders or dessert scorpions.  ;) Oysters and shrimp on the other hand... I know I am screaming mad because my most favorite vacation spot is gone. Once you see how beautiful the gulf is ... or used to be ... you'd understand.

We don't eat west coaster's either.... perhaps their extinction via restoring the flow of the Colorado River will bring back the species we did eat out of the Gulf of Cortez.   ???   ;)  And create new jobs for the fisherman etc surrounding the Gulf of Mexico.   ;D

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:55 pm »
I can't believe no one called Chuck Norris yet!
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 04:47:38 pm »
  I think what they should do, is drop a wedding ring down there, and slip on the pipe. I guarantee you once it get a rin, it quits putting out!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »
Now that's F'n funny Weaze!  ;D
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »
Thanks Weaze!  This thread definitely needed some levity!