Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equinox Hops  (Read 1111 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Equinox Hops
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »
I just ordered some and was wondering what others here think about them? They sound like they might be a good IPA hop.
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Equinox Hops
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »
I brewed a single hopped APA back in the early summer with them. I like them a lot. I think that they are very centennial like except a bit more resinous. I have an IPA fermenting now that was bittered with Columbus and finished with equal parts Equinox, Citra, and Amarillo. Can't wait!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 03:25:53 pm »
They're nice. They're very high in oil content (just under 3.0) so they're great for dry hopping. Lots of tropical fruit, some citrus, and resiny in a good way. There's a lot going on. Great hop.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:20:25 am »
Your descriptions sound great. Can it be used in equal amounts with other "C" hops or will it overpower the others?
Dan Chisholm

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:22:19 am »
I brewed a single hopped APA back in the early summer with them. I like them a lot. I think that they are very centennial like except a bit more resinous. I have an IPA fermenting now that was bittered with Columbus and finished with equal parts Equinox, Citra, and Amarillo. Can't wait!
Let me know how that IPA turns out because I also have Amarillo and Citra on hand. That sounds like a tropical fruity IPA.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 09:49:28 am »
Your descriptions sound great. Can it be used in equal amounts with other "C" hops or will it overpower the others?

If you use it with C hops, I'd back on the Equinox a tad. Maybe 3/4 oz Equinox : 1 oz C hops. Though it works well in equal amounts of Columbus.
Jon H.