Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxygen cleaners  (Read 4154 times)

Offline grainy one

• 1st Kit
oxygen cleaners
« on: November 14, 2015, 06:18:29 pm »
Found a sale on a product and want to use it to clean my buckets and bottles. The name of it is Powerhouse oxygen. Color safe bleach free all purpose stain remover. Anyone use it before and any advice on oxygen cleaners would be appreciated.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: oxygen cleaners
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:57 am »
This paper:

http://www.umich.edu/~chemstu/content_weeks/F_06_Week11/pics_notes/Bracken_JCE_2005_p762_oxyclean.pdf

indicates that the powerhouse has about half the percarbonate of other oxygen cleaners.
(in 2005)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:21:26 am by BrewArk »
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:21:06 am »
For years I used Oxiclean, then PBW.  Both worked well.  I now use Craftmeister Oxygen cleaner.  It's so much more effective than the others that the choice is clear for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:28:33 am »
I now use Craftmeister Oxygen cleaner.  It's so much more effective than the others that the choice is clear for me.

I'm almost out of PBW, I'll definitely have to give this a try.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:56:03 am »
I now use Craftmeister Oxygen cleaner.  It's so much more effective than the others that the choice is clear for me.

I'm almost out of PBW, I'll definitely have to give this a try.

Here's a comparison...http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 05:19:51 am »
The Craftmeister tablets make it an easy choice for me.  But I got them as a raffle prize, so I don't know the comparative cost per use...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:21:34 am »
For years I used Oxiclean, then PBW.  Both worked well.  I now use Craftmeister Oxygen cleaner.  It's so much more effective than the others that the choice is clear for me.

Same here. I got a bunch form the last comp I helped at. We won't be going back to PBW.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:09:43 am »
That comparison link that Denny posted would indicate that the best cleaner is Craftmeister Alkaline, not Craftmeister Oxygen.  Or am I missing something?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:17:27 am »
Nope, you're not.  The alkaline kicks butt.  It works better mixed with cold water than PBW does in hot water.   When you put the alkaline in hot water it's truly remarkable.  But not everyone wants to use an alkaline cleaner.  The Oxygen cleaner still works better than PBW.  They source their percarbonate from the chemical industry, not the laundry industry, and it dissolves at a lower temp than PBW.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:32 am »
That comparison link that Denny posted would indicate that the best cleaner is Craftmeister Alkaline, not Craftmeister Oxygen.  Or am I missing something?

I think this is the main reason.

Quote from the article:

"You should probably be smarter than me and use gloves while using the Alkaline cleaner. My hands felt a bit like the American Nazi dude at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The cleaner is effective, just a bit harsher than good ole PBW."

That would definitely sell me on using the Oxygen Wash, despite the Alkaline's slightly faster performance.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:36:58 am »
Okay, thanks.  I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.  Soak and run through my line to the drain.  So it looks like alkaline for me. 

I saw this weekend that the local hardware store has got the Craftmeister line in, so I wanted to research before purchase.  I like whatever works best.  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
Okay, thanks.  I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.  Soak and run through my line to the drain.  So it looks like alkaline for me. 

I saw this weekend that the local hardware store has got the Craftmeister line in, so I wanted to research before purchase.  I like whatever works best.  ;D

I cleaned my BK with the alkaline the other day.  I'd couldn't believe the amount of brown slime that came off.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 10:20:17 am »
Denny, did you heat the water up, or just did a cold soak?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 10:31:42 am »
I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.

Have you ever tried Barkeeper's Friend?  I cleaned my boil kettle with it yesterday, and it seriously looks brand new.  I wish I had taken before and after pictures.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 10:33:42 am »
I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.

Have you ever tried Barkeeper's Friend?  I cleaned my boil kettle with it yesterday, and it seriously looks brand new.  I wish I had taken before and after pictures.

+1 to BKF. Does wonders on a kettle.
Jon H.