Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upcoming Rube Goldberg Brewday  (Read 16215 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Upcoming Rube Goldberg Brewday
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 04:48:45 pm »
I'll be curious to see what you think too, Amanda. Disclosure - I'm primarily a single infusion guy and mash North  German pils @ 148-149F/90 mins. If you think the 150F has too much body, I'd be curious to see what you think at a lower temp. I think my pils compares favorably to step mash pils I've had from step mashing friends.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:31 pm »
I'll be curious to see what you think too, Amanda. Disclosure - I'm primarily a single infusion guy and mash North  German pils @ 148-149F/90 mins. If you think the 150F has too much body, I'd be curious to see what you think at a lower temp. I think my pils compares favorably to step mash pils I've had from step mashing friends.

I honestly don't think that 2*F makes that much of a difference in fermentability (and Kai's data points to lower than 149F actually decreases fermentability strangely enough), but I didn't want to do too low so as to throw off the comparison just in case. It is also something I am going to be testing at a later date.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 05:00:49 pm »
As for 2F, I totally agree - except sub 150 where I think the difference is more noticeable. Anyway, all good.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
As for 2F, I totally agree - except sub 150 where I think the difference is more noticeable. Anyway, all good.

It probably is more noticeable, but I've only ever mashed as low as 149F. And those are my Belgians, which are pitched with higher attenuating yeasties... so it could be a combination of things. Anyway - I'm excited about all this learnin' I can do! :D Yay!
Amanda Burkemper

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »
3 days in and the 1.048 beer is at 1.036 (1 plato per day including lag and everything, woo hoo) and 4.5ph. Sample smells clean and grainy. I'll measure again tomorrow,  should be getting close to 50% ADF

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
Day 4 1.026! Thats called rippen through

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 05:31:24 pm »
Day 6 and the 1.048 beer is at 1.010, the slightly bigger beer is 1.011. As expected there is some sulphur still blowing off. By the looks of the surface and beer samples they are just starting to drop out. I set the controller to 68 and placed the temp back into my makeshift thermowell. I'll sample again in a couple days and do a quick diacetyl test before crashing.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »
Jim, I'm into my second brew day today. The single infusion was knocked out this morning and I'm just into the beta rest on the Hochkurz step mash version. Once I get the last data set, I'll post it up.

I'm gonna try a fast ferment test for the first time on these two. Wish me luck!
Amanda Burkemper

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 05:51:43 pm »
Couldn't agree more, every beer of mine below 150 struggles for body.  When I mash lower than 150 I always wish I had a touch more body.  Style dependent of course, my Saison at 148 is perfect. 
Jeff B

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 05:57:12 pm »
Jim, I'm into my second brew day today. The single infusion was knocked out this morning and I'm just into the beta rest on the Hochkurz step mash version. Once I get the last data set, I'll post it up.

I'm gonna try a fast ferment test for the first time on these two. Wish me luck!
Awesome! Will be fun to see how our results compare.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »

Spoiler alert: the pre-boil gravity for both batches was/is 1.051. Same mash pH (5.47), same pre-boil pH as well (5.37 & 5.38). Now I gotta do this FFT to satisfy my curiosity about the fermentability. If that's the same, there will be a blind triangle done... and maybe some blind score sheets as well.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 09:09:46 pm »

Spoiler alert: the pre-boil gravity for both batches was/is 1.051. Same mash pH (5.47), same pre-boil pH as well (5.37 & 5.38). Now I gotta do this FFT to satisfy my curiosity about the fermentability. If that's the same, there will be a blind triangle done... and maybe some blind score sheets as well.
Quick carbed the hydrometer sample. I would describe it as having an Urquel like nose and a little sharper in flavor. The honey note, sweetness, and mineral character of the last attempt are gone. Excited to see finished appearance. If its bright with a nice head I will be sold on this method.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 09:35:22 pm »
Which method is the one you chilled and carbed?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »

Fast ferment test is going. 1/4tsp bread yeast in each, like Kai had mentioned. Since I'm going for comparison, it should do.

I there isn't a difference in these so far.
Hochkurz mash:

150F mash:
Amanda Burkemper

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 09:42:15 pm »
Which method is the one you chilled and carbed?
Both were brewed with same hochkurz step mash.