Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Big a Problem?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
How Big a Problem?
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:59:46 am »
Being new to kegging, I am working through issues. My latest mistake/problem is that I just kegged an IPA last night. Without checking the pressure set at the regulator, I mistakenly put 30 lb of pressure on the newly kegged beer, took off the gas disconnect and worse yet, compounding the mistake, I put the disconnect back on.

Took some liquid in the gas line. Luckily it did not make it all the way the manifold. I have since removed the fouled line and cleaned it and the disconnect.

However, I then tried to relieve the pressure in the keg by depressing the poppit on the gas post and proceeded to spew beer out through the gas post. Trying again today to relieve pressure - the same thing - beer spewing out of the post.

Do I just let it all sit for a day? days?

As is, obviously if I try and connect the gas disconnect again I'll wind up with the same fouled gas line - correct?

What are my options?

At least I know the keg holds pressure well.
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: How Big a Problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:18:29 pm »
Is this a pin-lock keg?  I ask because most ball-lock kegs have a vent valve in the middle of the bale and you don't have to depress the gas poppet to relieve pressure.
Some kegs have a longer tube attached to the gas port, some very short.  If yours is long enough to be submerged in beer, then you'll get sprayed. 
By the way, how full is the keg anyway?
There may be a chance that you have the gas and liquid posts reversed.  Have you tried pushing on the other poppet?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:25:23 pm »
I don't follow you 100% but it sounds like you may have mixed up your gas in and beer out posts. If you are getting beer out of the co2 post then chances are you did. What happens if you depress the other post? Do you get co2 or beer spurting out?

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:13 pm »
Good call both of you. They are pin lock kegs and this one is the only one without the pressure relief in the lid. Depressing what should be the liquid post (3 pins) relieved the pressure. I must have mixed up the posts after cleaning the keg.

Talk about a noob!
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »
Putting 30 lbs of pressure in a newly kegged beer isn't a big deal.  Many people do this as their standard operating procedure for the first 24 hours, then relieve the pressure and dial the regulator down.   Carbs the beer faster, just don't leave it there too long. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:48:50 pm »
If you overfill beer will come out the in side. I would not have a keg with no high pressure relief valve, just for safety sake.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:51 am »
If it were me I would drain a  pint out of the "out" end and either drink it or toss it. Then you should have enough head space that the beer won't go through the gas poppet. If it is still a problem disconnect the line at the manifold and put that line back on the gas poppet holding the gas line away from you and your face and spray out the beer until the keg is depressurized. You may loose half a pint but thems the breaks. Clean gas line/QDC and reconnect.

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:37:49 am »
Thanks for the responses.

As it turns out it was as Jeffy and Poterhaus suggested - the posts were installed on the wrong sides. The gas post was threaded over the liquid (out) dip tube. Depressing the poppet on the other post relieved all the head space pressure and I switched the posts back to their rightful positions and hooked up the cleaned gas line/disconnect/etc. with no issues.

I probably should have (and likely would have eventually) figured it out - but it is awesome to know there's a place to go for almost instant suggestions.
Not Alien to Homebrewing