Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steamed Clams  (Read 2222 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Steamed Clams
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:18 am »
We love clams.  Personally, I prefer them raw on the half shell, but steamed is also pretty nice.

I saute onions and garlic, then add water, white wine, parsley and the clams - bring that to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer covered.  I believe the secret to success is to monitor the pot closely, and remove each clam with a pair of tongs as soon as it opens (transferring them to a bowl that is covered with tin foil).  That way you don't overcook the early openers.

I can get about 30 good sized littlenecks in my old 5 gallon extract kettle (which I also use to make a mean vegetarian matzo ball soup for Passover).

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Steamed Clams
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:55 am »
 Yum.  I love all things seafood.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 10:48:26 am »
LOVE steamers!  Do them pretty much the same way you do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
Very nice!
Try this with a Belgian Ale instead of wine.
I like to make steamed mussels that way.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:07:06 pm »
In Belgium we eat lots of mussels. We do not, I repeat not, apply this method. Too much work. And we certainly don't put beer in the pot. Either nothing or French wine. But we do drink beer with the mussels, and lots of it. Cheers!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:14:14 pm »
In Belgium we eat lots of mussels. We do not, I repeat not, apply this method. Too much work. And we certainly don't put beer in the pot. Either nothing or French wine. But we do drink beer with the mussels, and lots of it. Cheers!

Don't keep us in suspense...how do you do it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:16:47 pm »
The main thing is the mussels. Unfortunately not all mussels are created equal.  We Belgians only eat one special type of mussels, harvested from the Waddenzee in the Netherlands. They have a very mild taste. We will never eat a bowl of Spanish, strong-tasting mussels.  Since we eat 1 to 1.5 kg of mussels per person they really have to be mild. Unfortunately I’m not sure whether you can find this type of mussels in the US

Fry lots of onions and cut celery stems in butter.  You may want to add a couple of garlic cloves, but it’s not obligatory.  After a couple of minutes add the cleaned mussels, thyme and laurel leaves, plus lots of black pepper. Don’t add water or salt.  Steam the mussels open, shaking the pot from time to time to bring the mussels from the bottom to the top and from the top to the bottom. This technique will make sure that all mussels get cooked evenly.  Add a small glass of white wine and continue steaming and shaking. When all the mussels are open they should be done.  Maybe continue for a few more minutes. Avoid boiling them too long, otherwise they will become rubber. This should take not more than 5 minutes or so.

Of course we eat mussels with lots of top quality fries. Many people dip the mussels in a sauce: easy recipe is a blend of mayonnaise (not the sugary crap), lemon juice or vinegar, and mustard.  No ketchup with oyster juice crap! Many people do not eat mussels with a fork, but use an empty shell to  pick the flesh out of the shells. Also, eat the juice and vegetables with a spoon. In restaurants the mussels are served in large one-person bowls: http://www.hollandsemosselcentrale.be/images/mosselmaaltijd.jpg

And we drink either white wine or blonde beer. Lager or a stronger ale – Duvel, Hoegaarden, tripel, Chouffe, etc.  And in Antwerp, obviously we drink a “bolleke” De Coninck.
Frank P.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 05:09:54 pm »
Mussels, we pick 'em fresh out at the coast or get the Washington Penn Cove ones. We have lots of favorite recipes. Here's one....
Put 1/4 cp olive oil, 2 cps white wine, 2 bay leaves and a sprig of thyme in a casserole. Cover and bring to simmer. Add mussels, cover and steam to open. Don't over cook. Strain the cooking liquid and reduce it to 3/4ths the original volume. Keep mussels covered and warm. Heat some more olive oil in a skilled and saute 1 cup onions and 12 minced cloves of garlic until onions just begin to brown. Add 2 cups peeled diced tomatoes and heat through. Add a small chopped hot pepper, 2 Tblsp chopped italian parsley, 1 Tblsp chopped Oreganno and 1 Tblsp Chopped Basil and reduced mussel liquid. Adjust seasoning. Arrange the mussels in bowls and top with tomato mixture. Garnish with some basil leaves and make sure you've got plenty of crusty french bread for mopping up the amazing sauce.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 05:46:20 am »
Yum!  Love shellfish.  Oysters, clams, mussels. Our favorite way is steamed in white wine or a nice, light Belgian beer with lots of garlic, hot pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper.  With a nice baguette.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:07 am »
Mussels, we pick 'em fresh out at the coast or get the Washington Penn Cove ones. We have lots of favorite recipes. Here's one....
Put 1/4 cp olive oil, 2 cps white wine, 2 bay leaves and a sprig of thyme in a casserole. Cover and bring to simmer. Add mussels, cover and steam to open. Don't over cook. Strain the cooking liquid and reduce it to 3/4ths the original volume. Keep mussels covered and warm. Heat some more olive oil in a skilled and saute 1 cup onions and 12 minced cloves of garlic until onions just begin to brown. Add 2 cups peeled diced tomatoes and heat through. Add a small chopped hot pepper, 2 Tblsp chopped italian parsley, 1 Tblsp chopped Oreganno and 1 Tblsp Chopped Basil and reduced mussel liquid. Adjust seasoning. Arrange the mussels in bowls and top with tomato mixture. Garnish with some basil leaves and make sure you've got plenty of crusty french bread for mopping up the amazing sauce.

In Belgium we would first make the sauce in a large casserole, then add the mussels, and serve everything together when the mussels are ready.
Frank P.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »
Yes! Love them all!

When I was a kid (long time ago) I could walk one block down the end of my street and dig a bucket of fresh clams. And, as long as you were steaming them you didn't have to worry about pollution levels and red tide. I grew up on steamers--love, love, love them! Beer and and onion, steam 'em till they open, dip 'em in the broth (beer) and melted butter, and they would melt in your mouth.

The same beaches/shores were covered with mussels, but for some reason, we didn't eat them. Now, however, I love mussels too. Back then, they were just an annoyance for we would cut our bare feet on them when swimming or clamming.

Nice thread! Brought back the old days for me.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'