Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I found rust filings in pump  (Read 1209 times)

Offline mybuddypete

• 1st Kit
I found rust filings in pump
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:09:33 pm »
New member, first post. Looks like a great community here.

I recently bought a Chugger SS pump and have only used it one time. After using it I just ran some Star San through it for a while and put it back on the shelf in the garage to wait for the next brew day. After reading on here a bit about pumps and mold/gunk I decided to take mine apart to thoroughly clean and dry out.

I'm glad I did.

On the impeller around the magnetic portion that there were a few pinches-worth of fine metal particles.

Could it be possible that the grains I crushed had some iron content? I had also used a new grain crusher for the first time that day, so I am pretty sure the metal came from that but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knew.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Re: I found rust filings in pump
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
Was it actually rust, ie. ferrous iron? The rollers in your grain mill I would think are stainless (put a magnet on it to find out)and if your pump is all stainless...
 What about your water? Are you on a well?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:41 pm »
Could be from the mill.

Most of the mills I have looked at are hard steel, non-stainless. I know some higher end options have stainless rollers.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »
My monster mill 2 has rust on the rollers.

Offline mybuddypete

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:56:42 pm »
It was definitely rust. (I'm a skilled trades Machine Repair Journeyman).

I put a magnet on the rollers and it stuck. Although they look like plain stainless steel they might not be or they might be a magnetic stainless. Our water is good city water that I run through a charcoal filter and let sit for a while to dissipate chlorine.

It's just something I'm going to have to keep a close eye on. Pictures will be taken if it happens again. I figured I bring it to the forum to see if anyone else had an issue.