Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Comparison: WLP400 Belgian Wit vs. WLP410 Belgian Wit II | xBmt Results!  (Read 3113 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Witbier has gained massive popularity over the years, serving as an initial introduction to craft beer for some and leaving many homebrewers inspired to make their own version of this characterful style. In today's xBmt, we split a batch of Malcolm's award winning Wit wort, fermenting half with the popular WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast while the other half received the seasonal WLP410 Belgian Wit II. Results are in!!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/16/yeast-comparison-wlp400-belgian-wit-ale-vs-wlp410-belgian-wit-ii-ale/

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
I love the WLP400 but I find it quite floral with pear-esters, with not enough peppery spice.  Sounds like WLP410 might be worth a try then.  Or perhaps even do a split fermentation with each and blend at the end.

I didn't really care for the 3944 when I tried that -- more finicky, with bubblegum... nah.  I much prefer WLP400 to 3944.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Yep.  One of the best wits I ever tasted was with the 410 wit II strain.  My buddy who owns the LHBS brewed up that one.  Kudos to him! Had a nice blend of fruit and spice and played well with the citrus additions.