Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dramatic flavor-change question  (Read 2927 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dramatic flavor-change question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 12:43:26 pm »
mouthfeel is fuller than you'd expect for finishing at 1.011 and I had thought buttery 'could' be a component but I'm not terribly sensitive to diacetyl. Assumed fuller mouthfeel was from alcohol and hop oils.

Fermentation was in stainless (10-gallon corny) at 66F for 14 days, then 5 days on first dry hop @ ~68F, which seems to also reduce likelyhood of diacetyl?

I don't know much about Pedio behavior - can it turn a beer so quickly?
Pedio is works quite quickly and can throw a lot of Diacetyl

Possibly.  But I would find it odd especially in an 11.5% ABV beer with a ton of IBU's.  Pediococcus is still a bacteria that does not enjoy IBU's and alcohol but it could happen. 

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
What is your water situation?

I have very soft, clean water (Seattle area) treated both mash and sparge with 1.5 tsp CaCl2 and Gypsum to harden it a bit. Water is filtered through charcoal to remove chlorine.

And TeeDubb, I did actually shake the keg a bit when changing the serving line to a picnic tap to remove the kegerator line\faucet as a culprit for infection. I noticed the same thing - some re-suspension of cloudiness and somewhat renewed hop flavor, but today it's back to a crystal clear overly sweet, caramel bomb...so sad.

I've used gelatin on many beers in the past with great results, but admittedly not on such a strong, hoppy beer.  Perhaps next control will be to eliminate that step and see what happens.

Offline Carlson8tor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 12:13:23 am »
Hey man! My suggestion is to hop on craigs list and find a fridge. I got mine for about 50 bucks and it works great! Then get your self a good temp controller my suggestion is theInkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000w, w/ Sensor off amazon  hard to beat the price! Compared to an stc 1000. Once you got fermentation control you could work on a system to control your mash temp! Hope this helps!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
Yep,  Great advice from Carlson. I live in Auburn with close to the same water in Seattle. I usually add 3g each of gypsum,  CaCl, MgCl (Epsom salts) & 3ml of lactic acid.  About 2g added to my Sparge water minus the lactic.  I recently bought a used fridge for $80 for a ferm chamber.  Since doing that my beer has improved dramatically.   I also suggest sending a water sample from your tap to Ward labs to get a full water profile (city reports don't give you all the info needed) then use brunwater to get an idea of what additions to make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:49:17 am by BairsBrewing »