Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ozone System for Aeration?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
Ozone System for Aeration?
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »
I have a friend that is getting rid of an ozone system from his hot tub. I was wondering if you can use an ozone system to aerate your wort before pitching yeast? I have not seen information anywhere after much searching, so I thought I would pose the question here. I am planning to make the leap to an oxygenation system and wasn't sure if it's worth trying to make the ozone work. If not, I will buy a system from morebeer or Northern Brewer. Thanks!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Ozone System for Aeration?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:10:02 pm »
I wouldn't put it on my beer purely due to how it smells.

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:10:41 pm »
I agree with smells, and, contaminants, possible inclusion of a UV light, which will "skunk" your beer, and possible chlorine contamination.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:22:30 pm »
Just because ozone is oxygen, it doesn't mean it will work. O2 and O3 are very different chemicals. Ozone is highly toxic at concentration, and has very high oxidation potential due to it's reactivity. Oh, and it's used industrially in food processing to kill yeast.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »

Just because ozone is oxygen, it doesn't mean it will work. O2 and O3 are very different chemicals. Ozone is highly toxic at concentration, and has very high oxidation potential due to it's reactivity. Oh, and it's used industrially in food processing to kill yeast.
This is all correct. That third oxygen atom will want to grab a hold of something, what that is I don't know. Maybe it will react with hop flavor and aromas in a negative way.

But still, that smell is rough enough for me to avoid just on that.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:05 am »
Great! I wasn't really sure about how that all happened, so I'm glad I asked. Thanks for all the feedback!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:45:00 am »
But you could use it on water collected for brewing or drinking, for example, if it is going to sit for a while before use.  A lot of store RO systems have that step as a final process for their RO systems ....but I would just skip it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"