Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: On the hunt for affordable Cervoise Goblets  (Read 1684 times)

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
On the hunt for affordable Cervoise Goblets
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:45 pm »
The glass used in the latest online published homebrew recipe "Sippin' on the Dock of the Bay" features a style of glass I really want. It took a little time but I think finally found what it is, or most commonly called: Stemmed Cervoise Goblet.

Unfortunately, they turn out to be ridiculously expensive (around $140 a piece) for reasons unknown to me. I would be grateful if anyone could find a place where these are sold for a price a mortal can afford them. And also, of all styles, why on earth are these so expensive? The material?

It could also be that they are called something else, and if so, please share your knowledge.

Like I mentioned, you can see the glass by the published recipe.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/sippin-on-the-dock-of-the-bay-ipa/

EDIT: Turns out the price is for a set of 24, even though most sources do not say so. The single price is then affordable, but I don't really want 24 of them. The hunt continues.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:46:31 pm by MockY »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: On the hunt for affordable Cervoise Goblets
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:52:08 pm »
These aren't the same thing?
EDIT:

After a second look, they look more like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Craft-16-6-Ounce-Belgian-4-Piece/dp/B007SVEE6U/ref=pd_bxgy_79_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GSYNV7YTB4FHQEFKDVQ

Close, but no cigar. Look at the bottom half of the glass. The one you point to is Belgian and features a more rounded look. The Cervoise goblet has a tapered straight line up to the middle of the glass.

But that example is the closest I've seen, and the price is perfect.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:56:40 pm »
These aren't the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Craft-14-75-Ounce-Porter-4-Piece/dp/B008OQN7RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447875943&sr=8-1&keywords=libbey+stout+glass

They look enough like the glass in the recipe picture, but I may be missing some small detail.

EDIT:

After a second look, they look more like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Craft-16-6-Ounce-Belgian-4-Piece/dp/B007SVEE6U/ref=pd_bxgy_79_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GSYNV7YTB4FHQEFKDVQ
I have both of those Libby glasses, they came in a set of 4 "craft Beer" glasses that also included an English Style and American style pint glass. My girlfriend got two sets so we have two of each. I see the difference between the Belgian glass and the one the OP is looking for, but its hard to imagine the difference in terms of the experience drinking the beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »
I know the difference is slight, but the straight lines really makes a difference visually. Heck, I drink homebrew out of mason jars at times, so it's not really so much of a taste revolution I'm after. These glasses just looks perfect, and the idea of presenting my homebrew in them makes my mind salivate.

Here is a better look at it
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/17185128/sippin-dock-of-hte-bay-hero.jpg

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »
Could it be an optical illusion in the picture? The right side of the glass appears straighter than the left side, which more closely matches the Libbey Belgain glasses.

FWIW, at least one of the other glasses in the background of that picture appear to be from Libbey as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-15-25-Ounce-Classic-Pilsner-4-Piece/dp/B008OQN6NU/ref=pd_bxgy_79_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0267MXGG3SJPACAB14Y2
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 01:24:28 pm »
I wish it was an optical illusion as it would be easier to get them.
You can find the glasses I'm looking for in various places, but they all sell them in 24-pack

http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-7131-Arcoroc-Cervoise-Goblet/dp/B00A4N30CS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447878196&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Stemmed+Cervoise+Goblet

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:45 pm »
Looks like thats a case they're selling so it's more like $5/glass

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »
Looks like thats a case they're selling so it's more like $5/glass

^ Wait, nvm you just said that, my mistake.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:43:02 pm »
I wish it was an optical illusion as it would be easier to get them.
You can find the glasses I'm looking for in various places, but they all sell them in 24-pack

http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-7131-Arcoroc-Cervoise-Goblet/dp/B00A4N30CS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447878196&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Stemmed+Cervoise+Goblet

do you have a homebrew club? might be an opportunity for a group buy. 4 guys who each wanted 6 glasses and it's a decent prices.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:03 am »
do you have a homebrew club? might be an opportunity for a group buy. 4 guys who each wanted 6 glasses and it's a decent prices.

Great idea. I don't have a club per se, just 4 dudes brewing about once a month, but I'll ask them if they find these glasses just as irresistibly sexy as I do. If that fails, I might buy a whole case anyway and therefore have glasses for any unforeseen event in the future (glasses break easily in this household).

Offline MockY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 06:30:11 pm »
I started looking at retail stores in the area. Most don't have websites so it would be impossible to call these places and ask. After plenty of disappointments I stumbled across William-Sonoma. They happen to have one of their stores somewhat close and on their website I actually found them. No brand was mentioned and they were listed as Stemmed Pilsner Glasses, which is probably why they never showed up in any search, but they look identical. The store had 4 of them for $6 each and the hunt is finally over.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »
If you come across a holiday 3-pack from Ommegang, this is the glass they include this year.

Just got the 3-pack on Saturday.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »
Another store with a fairly large selection of glassware is World Market.  And sometimes Pier 1 has some useful glassware around.  Neither are the highest quality stuff but it gets the job done.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?