Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: June BJCP Exam Results  (Read 2517 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: June BJCP Exam Results
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 07:41:20 am »
Congrats, Jeff.  Your knowledgeable comments on this board bear witness to your experience, as well as your understanding of the beer world. 

Not sure if I will sit for the written exam next year or not.  I just barely passed the minimum score on the tasting exam (81 - which I was ecstatic to get, by the way) and I need more experience points anyway... then take a good while to crack the books to try to get the National level - at least another year in total. My tasting score reflects my inexperience - my descriptive ability was generally master level, but my scoring sucked - novice at times.  With more judging under my belt, I hope to be better prepared all around and then allow the new style guidelines to sink in a bit and work on practice exams and handwriting things (who does much of that anymore?).  It sounds pretty universal that the problem with taking the written exam is getting all that you have to say spit out in the short times allotted.  I got D's in penmanship in grade school and I can't hardly decipher what I wrote five minutes after I wrote it....

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for those National and above - clearly a lot of time was put in to get those scores.
An 81 is very respectable. Get those judge points, study, and take the written.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 06:20:29 pm »
Don't count yourself short.  In my experience, scoring accuracy always improves with practice/experience.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:45 am »
All you need is an active judge to administer.  The graders list is auto-approved, but the ED's will approve a non-grader in situations like yours.  They just have to get permission ahead of time.

Thanks, Steve.  That's really good to know.  I need to drastically improve my rusty writing skills first.

It sounds pretty universal that the problem with taking the written exam is getting all that you have to say spit out in the short times allotted.  I got D's in penmanship in grade school and I can't hardly decipher what I wrote five minutes after I wrote it....

That is a huge part of it.  I didn't have available time beforehand to organize and practice writing my answers beforehand, so the time crunch got me.