Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Blonde Ale Recipe Attempt  (Read 4918 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Coffee Blonde Ale Recipe Attempt
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:02:37 pm »
So I'm going to brew my version of a Coffee Blonde Ale. I'm an extract / partial mash brewer. I'm going to be brewing this weekend Here is what I've come up with beer smith:

Steeping Grains:
8 oz Flaked Wheat
4 oz Vienna Malt
4 oz Crystal 10L

Extract:
3.3 Pilsen Light extract
3.3 Golden Light extract (last 20 minutes of boil)

Hops:
0.5 oz Centennial 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 15 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min

Yeast:
Safale US 05

After primary fermentation is done, and just 1 day before bottling I'm going to add 12oz of cold brewed coffee (I know lots of people say just use beans and others say cold brewed in bottling bucket right before bottling so I'm going to try this and see what happens)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Coffee Blonde Ale Recipe Attempt
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:06:56 pm »
You will need more enzymes to convert the flaked wheat. I would sub out extract with some 2-row and mash/steep with the other grains.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:33 pm »
Interesting combination; coffee and blonde ale. Forgive my ignorance, is that an idea of yours or were you inspired by another beer?

PS. What Steve is saying is the flaked wheat won't do much for you when steeped. If you are looking for body and mouthfeel from the wheat you may consider subbing maltodextrin.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:55:45 pm by alestateyall »

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:05 pm »
From the books I've read, flaked wheat was recommended for blonde ales.  And ballast point makes a good coffee blonde

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:00:57 am »
From the books I've read, flaked wheat was recommended for blonde ales.  And ballast point makes a good coffee blonde

I think that the fellas are saying is that steeping won't do anything. It needs to be mashed with grains that have the power to convert it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:06:42 am by RPIScotty »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:16:18 am »

I think that the fellas are saying is that steeping won't do anything. It needs to be mashed with grains that have the power to convert it.
Yup. Vienna can convert itself and not much more in an all grain batch. So you're asking a quarter pound of vienna to convert wheat. Crystal is already converted, and has no power to convert anything else. Dont be frustrated, its a common thing we all had to learn, and this is how you learn. Toss up your ideas and see where they land, learn as you go. All good.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 07:21:27 am »
The color from the coffee may cause an issue. You may want to look into the process used to remove a lot of dark color.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 07:42:17 am »
thanks, I didn't realize that when looking at others recipes.  How much grain is needed to convert the flaked wheat?  like Steve in TX said, if i knock out some of the extract and go with more grain in the steep instead.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:00:19 am by golfgod04 »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:11 am »
You definitely need to partial mash that flaked wheat unless you're looking to add starch to the beer, which you probably aren't. I'd probably use a pound of base malt just to make your numbers easy and subtract the appropriate amount of extract.

You won't have a problem getting color extraction from the coffee. You're actually not using enough coffee to make a noticeable color contribution.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:37:30 am »
Is that yeast what you have on hand or what you like to use?  I know it is pretty soft and lets flavors shine, but the bitterness from the coffee, and the body from the wheat, maybe a different strain yeast? Wyeast 3522 (I think quite a few commercial brewers use this yeast for its blondes) or 1762 for its "Clean Flavors" if you are sensitive to Belgian yeast esters

Have you considered using wheat DME? Flaked wheat might give you some issues as suggested above.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 08:50:23 am »
Is that yeast what you have on hand or what you like to use?  I know it is pretty soft and lets flavors shine, but the bitterness from the coffee, and the body from the wheat, maybe a different strain yeast? Wyeast 3522 (I think quite a few commercial brewers use this yeast for its blondes) or 1762 for its "Clean Flavors" if you are sensitive to Belgian yeast esters

Have you considered using wheat DME? Flaked wheat might give you some issues as suggested above.

This goes back to whether he is trying to brew American vs. Belgian. With the US05, I assume he is going for an American version.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 08:56:14 am »

This goes back to whether he is trying to brew American vs. Belgian. With the US05, I assume he is going for an American version.
If he's trying for the ballast point they call it a cream ale with coffee and vanilla and its definitely more American, if I'm right that this is the beer he's basing it on.(IIRC its called "Calm Before the Storm", its quite tasty and unusual.)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:08:01 am »
Hi i forgot that ballast was cream but I'm still going to make blonde. And I'm using us 05 yeast .  I'll make the changes to make sure I,m using already a lb of basemalt when steeping.  I use beer Smith when coming up with the recipe.  The cold brewed coffee in the bottle bucket shouldn't color the beer too much and just add the flavor of coffee. Thanks again for input

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:28:21 am »
Hi i forgot that ballast was cream but I'm still going to make blonde. And I'm using us 05 yeast .  I'll make the changes to make sure I,m using already a lb of basemalt when steeping.  I use beer Smith when coming up with the recipe.  The cold brewed coffee in the bottle bucket shouldn't color the beer too much and just add the flavor of coffee. Thanks again for input
I think with that tweak adding the base malt this will be a tasty beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 10:27:34 am »
I think with that tweak adding the base malt this will be a tasty beer.
Which of the extracts would you remove? Would you replace it with 2-row or pilsen malt for a blonde ale?