Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ever do this...  (Read 2926 times)

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Ever do this...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 05:27:34 pm »
I'm assuming they ferment then kiln and therefore no organisms. Am I wrong about that?
I was thinking that as well, but you can innoculate a sour using other kilned malts. The question is whether all the bugs are picked up post-kilning, or whether some survive the process and remain viable on the malt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Shoulda saved a little bit. I get my winter share next month, I'll see if I can get more, I'm fascinated.
BTW Eric you might consider checking them out, 146 to Mass Pike gets you mostly there and there's lots to do in the Amherst/Hadley/Northampton area.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 05:35:24 pm »
I've been meaning to. I have friends in the Worcester area, so I need to see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone sometime.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »
I've been meaning to. I have friends in the Worcester area, so I need to see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone sometime.

Sometimes I like to think about what it would take to kill two birds with one stone. Its fun to think about.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 06:05:54 pm »

Sometimes I like to think about what it would take to kill two birds with one stone. Its fun to think about.
I suppose you could put poisoned peanut butter on a stone. The trick would be to run out and get it before three birds were killed.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:11 pm »
I'm assuming they ferment then kiln and therefore no organisms. Am I wrong about that?
I was thinking that as well, but you can innoculate a sour using other kilned malts. The question is whether all the bugs are picked up post-kilning, or whether some survive the process and remain viable on the malt.

Not knowing anything about how they do it, it sounds like acid malt done spontaneous rather than sprayed. I imagine an acid malt with some extra funkiness. Method is probably pretty simple. I imagine they malt, then halt, then let it sit warm and wet for the souring, then kiln dry.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:09:00 pm by klickitat jim »

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 06:10:23 pm »

Not knowing anything about how they do it, it sounds like acid malt done spontaneous rather than sprayed. I imagine an acid malt with some extra funkiness. Method is probably pretty simple. I imagine they malt, then halt, then let it sit warm and wet for the souring, then kiln dry.
I think you are right except to say I think the funk might be more up front than you think.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:52:46 am by pete b »