Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First timer here, have some basic questions that I can't find answers to  (Read 2766 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: First timer here, have some basic questions that I can't find answers to
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:09 pm »
You pitched the yeast on 11/18 and today is 11/22.  Please be patient and don't transfer the beer for at least another week.  As said above, no need to go to another vessel except for bottling.
Also, as said above, try to get some temperature control for your next brew.  Warm fermentations can cause some hot, fume-like alcohol flavors and aromas. It's best to keep ale fermentations in the 60's.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline CLEMDAWG

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »
Wow, I'm glad you came here. Truthfully, the conflicting advice you got was pretty much all bad. Aside from using a secondary to rack your beer onto fruit or to age a very strong beer, you do not want to use a secondary. It's outdated inferior advice from the early days of the homebrew revolution. If you rack a beer to secondary too soon, you are removing the beer from most of the yeast  - this can and will cause a beer to not ferment completely, leaving it too sweet and giving off bad flavors and aromas in some cases. So why do it? Answer - don't. Welcome, and don't be afraid to ask for any help you need !
How do you use fruit in beer? I ike a good beer and have tried a strawberry flavored beer but hated it. Never tried that again.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:26 pm »
Wow, I'm glad you came here. Truthfully, the conflicting advice you got was pretty much all bad. Aside from using a secondary to rack your beer onto fruit or to age a very strong beer, you do not want to use a secondary. It's outdated inferior advice from the early days of the homebrew revolution. If you rack a beer to secondary too soon, you are removing the beer from most of the yeast  - this can and will cause a beer to not ferment completely, leaving it too sweet and giving off bad flavors and aromas in some cases. So why do it? Answer - don't. Welcome, and don't be afraid to ask for any help you need !
How do you use fruit in beer? I ike a good beer and have tried a strawberry flavored beer but hated it. Never tried that again.

Using fruit is a situation where I do use a secondary. I transfer from primary after fermentation is done, racking to secondary onto whatever fruit puree I'm wanting, and wait a couple weeks then package (verifying FG of course). Whole fruit leaves a ton of pulpy 'goop' behind that is a racking nightmare. Strawberry just doesn't translate to beer IMO - the flavor just gets lost compared to other fruits.

EDIT - Cherry, raspberry and blackberry are examples of fruits that do translate well to beer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:28:16 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline CLEMDAWG

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 05:26:15 pm »
What type fruit do you recommend?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:18 pm »
What type fruit do you recommend?

Cherry and raspberry are pretty assertive and translate well into beer. Either is a good place to start.
Jon H.

Offline CLEMDAWG

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:07 pm »
Thanks. Gonna try and do the Rasberry.