Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxygen cleaners  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: oxygen cleaners
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 10:38:09 am »
BKF works amazingly well, but requires some elbow grease and should be rinsed quickly per the label. I'm interested in an easier method.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 10:46:10 am »
Denny, did you heat the water up, or just did a cold soak?

Overnight warm soak  (used chiller outflow water), then heated for a few minutes before I brushed it off, drained and rinsed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:07 am »
I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.

Have you ever tried Barkeeper's Friend?  I cleaned my boil kettle with it yesterday, and it seriously looks brand new.  I wish I had taken before and after pictures.

+1 to BKF. Does wonders on a kettle.

Agreed...it certainly does.  But the alkaline cleaner works even better with less effort.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:03:02 am »
I was looking at it for soaking my BK, so I wouldn't be touching the stuff.

Have you ever tried Barkeeper's Friend?  I cleaned my boil kettle with it yesterday, and it seriously looks brand new.  I wish I had taken before and after pictures.

+1 to BKF. Does wonders on a kettle.

Agreed...it certainly does.  But the alkaline cleaner works even better with less effort.

I'm close to running out of PBW.  You have me sold on the Craftmeister alkaline, Denny.
Jon H.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
It looks like the alk cleaner is mostly a 50/50 blend of washing soda and tsp substitute.  5% Sodium Sesquicarbonate.  Don't know a common name for that but a quick search revealed that it is a pretty benign chemical and quite cheap. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:32 pm »
I have always used One Step because it was what I was first introduced to. It works great for me but I'll probably try the alkaline cleaner sometime.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »
You count me as another fan of the Craftmeister Alkaline Brewery Wash.  I run it in my fermentors for about 20 minutes using a keg and carboy washer, and they come out sparkling.  I also let it sit in my tap lines for about 20 minutes after a keg kicks, and it really cleans them up nice.  I always follow-up with a clean water, then Saniclean rinse.

The ABW is REALLY harsh on the hands, though.  I now make sure that I am wearing gloves when I use it.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 02:03:46 pm »
I see that the Alkaline Brewery Wash is not recommended for use on soft metals like aluminum or zinc.  Does anyone know if it's okay on brass or copper?  I have a copper dip tubes in my kettles, and some brass valves and QDs,
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
i use just oxy soak overnight and kettle shines.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 03:10:05 pm »
I see that the Alkaline Brewery Wash is not recommended for use on soft metals like aluminum or zinc.  Does anyone know if it's okay on brass or copper?  I have a copper dip tubes in my kettles, and some brass valves and QDs,

Copper OK, brass no. 

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 08:56:55 pm »
I think they add the sesquicarbonate is washing soda bound to baking soda.  It is more soluble in cold water than washing soda.  Perhaps a homemade mix could be made simply and effectively. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:58 am »

Neither is the Oxygen wash, PBW, or Oxiclean.  I've had no problems with copper.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:43 am »
I think they add the sesquicarbonate is washing soda bound to baking soda.  It is more soluble in cold water than washing soda.  Perhaps a homemade mix could be made simply and effectively.

I think you should ask them rather than speculate.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 04:22:32 pm »

I think you should ask them rather than speculate.

I didn't speculate - I did some research on the chemical and its use in cleaning products.  Regardless of why that company in particular includes it, the cold water solubility is a property and a motivation for it's inclusion in general.  The mds makes the ratios of the other chemicals fairly transparent. 

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »
Nope, you're not.  The alkaline kicks butt.  It works better mixed with cold water than PBW does in hot water.   When you put the alkaline in hot water it's truly remarkable.  But not everyone wants to use an alkaline cleaner.  The Oxygen cleaner still works better than PBW.  They source their percarbonate from the chemical industry, not the laundry industry, and it dissolves at a lower temp than PBW.

Denny has it right!

Any questions regarding Craft Meister, private message me.  Better yet, try it for yourself.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash