Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: chile mulato & pasilla  (Read 1571 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
chile mulato & pasilla
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
Folks, without much reflection I bought some dried chile mulato and pasilla. What to do with them? Me Belgian, me not know.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: chile mulato & pasilla
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
First, remove the stem and shake out the seeds. Toast them in a dry skillet for a couple minutes to enhance the flavor. Then soak them in hot water for an hour, after which you puree with a cup of the water, garlic, cumin, oregano ,salt and pepper. Makes a wonderful marinade for meat or fish. Dried chiles rock.

EDIT -  If you ever find any guajillo or ancho chiles, those are very nice also. And FYI, if you find any morita chiles, they are the fully dried version of chipotles (smoked jalapenos).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:58:19 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:56:42 am »
Me thank you!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »
First, remove the stem and shake out the seeds. Toast them in a dry skillet for a couple minutes to enhance the flavor. Then soak them in hot water for an hour, after which you puree with a cup of the water, garlic, cumin, oregano ,salt and pepper. Makes a wonderful marinade for meat or fish. Dried chiles rock.

EDIT -  If you ever find any guajillo or ancho chiles, those are very nice also. And FYI, if you find any morita chiles, they are the fully dried version of chipotles (smoked jalapenos).

+1 you can also grind them up, and combine them with different spices and peppers for various rubs. I also like to throw them in whole in a pot of chili.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 01:10:37 pm »

+1 you can also grind them up, and combine them with different spices and peppers for various rubs. I also like to throw them in whole in a pot of chili.

Yeah, homemade chile powder is terrific. Good call.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:50:37 pm »
Another specific use or recipe for dried chiles is to make Posole, a delicious Mexican soup. Take guajillo chiles (specific to  posole) and follow the toast/hot steep/puree procedure with the garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper. Cut a pork shoulder roast into large cubes and add to a pot with hominy (equal or more hominy) and diced onion. Add the chile puree and water, cook until pork is tender. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, thinly sliced cabbage, and thinly sliced radish. Awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:54:23 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.