Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mind The Gap: Course vs. Fine Crush | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 4858 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Mind The Gap: Course vs. Fine Crush | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:06 am »
Neither! I always appreciate your comments and thought they were mostly addressed in my other response. The hydrometers were both calibrated.

I'm sorry, man.  It's not you, it's me.  I've been especially grumpy lately and honestly need to lighten up.  I shall try.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:05 am »

Neither! I always appreciate your comments and thought they were mostly addressed in my other response. The hydrometers were both calibrated.

I'm sorry, man.  It's not you, it's me.  I've been especially grumpy lately and honestly need to lighten up.  I shall try.

You made good points!!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 07:07:55 am »
:)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

Both pitched at 70F then placed in a freezer regulated to 66F, left for ~3 weeks.

If it was the freezer and not the beer that was temp controlled, wouldn't the beers have fermented at different peak temperatures, both significantly over 66degF?  I checked a carboy once in a steady 67degF room and it peaked at well over 70degF - 73degF iirc.  Given this was glass and not a thin better bottle.  Beer of 1.065 or so.

Placing the probe between the 2 carboys is a pretty common technique for controlling the temp of the fermenting beer. It's what I've been doing for years. I'm messing around with a BeerBug now and at 67˚F beer temp, the ambient temp waffles bewtween 56˚F and 65˚F.

@brulosopher - how do you like the beerbug? I'm thinking of buying one as a gift to myself for Christmas to monitor my speed lager fermentations so I don't have to worry about taking hydrometer readings and risking oxidation.
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »

Both pitched at 70F then placed in a freezer regulated to 66F, left for ~3 weeks.

If it was the freezer and not the beer that was temp controlled, wouldn't the beers have fermented at different peak temperatures, both significantly over 66degF?  I checked a carboy once in a steady 67degF room and it peaked at well over 70degF - 73degF iirc.  Given this was glass and not a thin better bottle.  Beer of 1.065 or so.

Placing the probe between the 2 carboys is a pretty common technique for controlling the temp of the fermenting beer. It's what I've been doing for years. I'm messing around with a BeerBug now and at 67˚F beer temp, the ambient temp waffles bewtween 56˚F and 65˚F.

@brulosopher - how do you like the beerbug? I'm thinking of buying one as a gift to myself for Christmas to monitor my speed lager fermentations so I don't have to worry about taking hydrometer readings and risking oxidation.

It's neat and pretty accurate, a somewhat expensive convenience. I'll be publishing an official review soon.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 11:34:01 am »

With all due respect, there is no need to worry about oxidation from taking a gravity sample.  The Beerbgug is a neat toy, but it is in no way necessary to prevent oxidation.   I will reference my old standby line...."If you can't take a gravity sample without compromising your beer, perhaps you should consider taking up knitting instead."  It's a JOKE, OK?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:24 pm »

With all due respect, there is no need to worry about oxidation from taking a gravity sample.  The Beerbgug is a neat toy, but it is in no way necessary to prevent oxidation.   I will reference my old standby line...."If you can't take a gravity sample without compromising your beer, perhaps you should consider taking up knitting instead."  It's a JOKE, OK?

The God of Internet homebrew has spoken, thus it shall be sacred scripture

But seriously, I'm super anal about oxidation and always purge the headspace with co2 after checking a gravity. It would be pretty cool to just have this data sent to my iPhone
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903