Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale  (Read 3815 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
Too bad Pretty Things is closing down. :(
I did not know this!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
nor did I! I wonder if whistle blowing on pay to play in Boston got them blacklisted.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 06:00:02 pm »
I'm not particularly dazzled by most of the saisons I've been tasting.

I agree, Pete. While I think Tank 7 is a pretty good beer, it doesn't stand up next to the saisons I've had from Belgium. It's a good, drinkable beer IMO. The thing I find funny is that saison is the new style du jour right now, but many of them that I've had aren't actually made with a saison strain. Can't count how many brewpub and even bottled American versions I've tried that seem to made with 3787 and finish mildly sweet - pretty annoying and innacurate. Whatever.

So I think for being American Tank 7 is good,  now by no means comparing Belgian to American versions, that would be a waste of time IMO,  BUT I still think it is a damn good beer.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »

I agree, Pete. While I think Tank 7 is a pretty good beer, it doesn't stand up next to the saisons I've had from Belgium. It's a good, drinkable beer IMO. The thing I find funny is that saison is the new style du jour right now, but many of them that I've had aren't actually made with a saison strain. Can't count how many brewpub and even bottled American versions I've tried that seem to made with 3787 and finish mildly sweet - pretty annoying and innacurate. Whatever.

So I think for being American Tank 7 is good,  now by no means comparing Belgian to American versions, that would be a waste of time IMO,  BUT I still think it is a damn good beer.

Don't get me wrong - I buy it and like it. It's easy to find and tasty.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »
Too bad Pretty Things is closing down. :(

what?... I have a saison from the swap from Pretty Things. That is sad.

I actually like Tank 7 given it is at least reasonably dry and spicy. Seems like a hard thing for a commercial brewery to really dial in here in the states given the love of fairly clean ale yeasts. Especially if they are being told to ferment at outlandish temps like many homebrew saisons seem to be heading.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 08:40:34 am »

I actually like Tank 7 given it is at least reasonably dry and spicy.

And 8 1/2%  ;D

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »

Agreed. The local Belgian-style brewery here does a saison and I always thought it was pretty far off style. I asked the head brewer what yeast they were using and he said they use a mix of saison and wit yeast. Now I know why it's off.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 03:16:23 pm »
I had a bottle of this on Super Bowl sunday and I'll have to try it again.  By itself it was pretty good, decent saison, I liked it, my wife hated it, which is usually key to a good Belgian-style, although it did not at all pair well with what I was eating that day.  Saison and nacho cheese apparently don't mix.  I laugh sometimes with food and beer pairing but this was a bad bad pairing.. a lot of fatty greasy food with a light spicy beer.. didn't work at all. 

I'd be willing to try it again on it's own.  Disappointed but it wasn't the beer's fault, it was mine.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year