Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: label making software  (Read 1827 times)

Offline sdevries42

• Cellarman
label making software
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »
Anyone have any good suggestions for beer bottle label making software/hardware?

Thanks!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: label making software
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:09:45 pm »
MS Publisher (Windows only) is what I used for a long time.  Then I got tired of pulling labels off my own bottles.  Now, if I want labels that are going on bottles I plan to gift, it's GrogTag all the way.  Use and adjust one of their templates (some let you add your own art), or upload your own complete design.  i've also printed my own vinyl labels from "bumper sticker" stock that Office Depot used to sell, but not any more.

To keep bottled beers ID'd for my own purposes, I use Avery 3/4" round stickers which fit perfectly on the crown.  And I go online to print them with Avery's free label printing software.  You can fit a lot of small, arched and straight text on them.  The software then churns a sheet of 24 stickers into a .pdf file which you print locally.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:22:10 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:08 am »
I used Grogtag last year and had a good experience. I will be using them again for this years Christmas beer but I do wish that most of their templates were a bit more customizable.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
I use GIMP, but the learning curve is pretty steep. I mostly print labels for my storage boxes and use Avery stickers on the caps. I didn't know about their software, I'll have to check that out.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:14:33 am »
Hard to beat Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. 'Course there is a pretty steep learning curve and they are not cheap. If you have a friend who is a graphic designer you usually can get a nice label in exchange for beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:28:07 am »
I use illustrator myself. Most of my labels are simple and just tone on tone with a color that represents the style.

I haven't put a label on a bottle in years. Too much of a PIA.

Offline jackmarshall77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:29 am »
Inkscape is free and works well but takes a bit of learning. Once you have the hang of it though it's all good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jackmarshall77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:48 am »
I found printable dot stickers at office works that fit neatly on the cap. That way you never have to clean them off the bottles. Lately I have degenerated to just hitting theses with the kids rubber stamp set. Bunny rabbits and flowers are not for everyone but it is super quick to do. I then just hit my brew notes with the same stamp so I can match them up. It's lazy but moderately effective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk