Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Replacing burner on my old Camp Chef?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Replacing burner on my old Camp Chef?
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:53:05 am »
I have a Camp Chef burner and the burner is getting rusty and not burning well.  It needs to be replaced.  The current burner used by Camp Chef is rated at 60K BTU (my original is listed as 70K).  The only problem is that the shipping to me in Alaska is more than the cost of the burner.  I found the Bayou Classic BG10 burner on Amazon which I can get with prime shipping.  Does anyone know if this can be used/fit in the Cam Chef frame?  It looks like it is rated for 150K BTU, can the Camp Chef frame handle this?

Thanks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Replacing burner on my old Camp Chef?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:40:53 am »
It seems to be that the burner rating may not be what the burner is actually putting out, which can be limited by the regulator. In other words, you can put 150 mph rated tires on an AMC Pacer, but they may not ever get up to 150 mph.

I use two Camp Chefs. Love them for the price. Cheap enough that when they get beat up I'll just replace the whole shebang

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Replacing burner on my old Camp Chef?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »
I replaced my 60BTU burner with a BG14 a few years back (and switched to natural gas).

The burner I had originally, bolted to a cross brace piece.   So a single bolt on the bottome of the burner was how it was mounted.

The BG14 had 4 threaded holes on the side of the burner, and used 1/4 20 bolts to  mount it.   I wound up just getting some long bolts and cut them to size, and drilled the bolts thru the legs of the burner into the new burner.  It worked great.

I would suggest looking if it is side or bottom threaded, and then deciding if you can modify your stand accordingly. 

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!