Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Blonde Ale Recipe Attempt  (Read 4867 times)

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Coffee Blonde Ale Recipe Attempt
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 11:14:52 am »
I think with that tweak adding the base malt this will be a tasty beer.
Which of the extracts would you remove? Would you replace it with 2-row or pilsen malt for a blonde ale?
You could take the amount of extract you are leaving out equally between the two. I'm not sure 2 row or pilsen would matter much. In that amount they won't add much flavor I think and either should have the enzymes you want.
I don't remember if this was already mentioned but don't forget malt to extract isn't 1:1 so you won't be omitting an entire pound of extract. I forget the ratio but you could look it up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 11:47:35 am »
ok thanks

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »
You have been given a lot of good advice, but what you are doing is called extract + specialty grain brewing.  The goal of partial-mash brewing is to derive a sizable percentage of one's extract from grain and then supplement with extract.  Partial-mashing is a technique that is half-way between extract + specialty grain brewing and all-grain brewing.  Partial-mashing was more popular when I started brewing due to the difficulty and expense of bringing 5-gallons of wort to a boil.  The high-quality propane stoves that we take for granted today were rare from the time that home brewing was legalized through the mid-nineties, and large stainless stock pots were expensive due to almost all restaurant-grade cookware being made in the U.S.  It was much easier and cheaper to bring 2.5 to 3-gallons of runoff from a partial mash to a boil on one's kitchen stove in readily available kitchenware, and then add extract during the last 15 minutes or so.  The wort was chilled and topped off with pre-boiled and chilled water. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
Interesting combination; coffee and blonde ale. Forgive my ignorance, is that an idea of yours or were you inspired by another beer? .

Buzz Beer?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

Buzz Beer?
Stay up and get drunk all over again.