Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Get your beer evaluated by a professional judge! Beta testers needed.  (Read 8751 times)

Offline heyimmatt

• 1st Kit
Hey brewers! We're about to launch an on-demand homebrew review service where you can get feedback on your homebrew and recipe from professional beer judges. We need a couple willing participants for our final testing. You'll get a written evaluation and competition-like numerical score for half the normal price! Includes a protective beer shipper, pre-paid shipping, and your review. Only two requirements: 1) You're a US resident over the age of 21 and 2) you have one 12 oz bottle of homebrew to send in for review.

If you're interested, go to www.reviewmyhomebrew.com, click the Order Now button in the header, and enter promo code BETATESTER during checkout for 50% off. Promo code will expire after 3 people claim it. Cheers!

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Get your beer evaluated by a professional judge! Beta testers needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:20:51 pm »
I have pondered ways to have people pay me to drink beer. This is awesome.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:25:19 pm »
What constitutes a "professional beer judge"?

Edit: nevermind. Found it near the bottom.
Double edit: $40?? Our homebrew club membership is a steal at this rate!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:29:30 pm by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »
Hmmm...why not just submit into a competition? $7 an entry seems much more affordable...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »
What constitutes a "professional beer judge"?

Edit: nevermind. Found it near the bottom.
Double edit: $40?? Our homebrew club membership is a steal at this rate!

IMA'Professional Beer Drinker...that counts right  ::)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »
Grand Master Judges. Nice, but it doesn't necessarily mean better than a Master judge. It just means they have performed more service to BJCP and that doesn't make a better judge, just more conscientious.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline heyimmatt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:26 pm »
Hmmm...why not just submit into a competition? $7 an entry seems much more affordable...

We wanted to provide another channel for brewers to get feedback on their beers. We love competitions (and enter them frequently), but there are a few inherent problems we felt we could address.

For one, competitions occur on a particular date so you have to arrange your brew calendar around them. We think there's value in an on-demand service that accommodates your schedule rather than the other way around.

Also, competition feedback is usually minimal out of necessity. There are so many beers to judge and so little time to spend on each one. Our service allows the judge the luxury of spending more time with each brewer's beer.

Lastly, unlike competitions, we provide a way for brewers to submit recipe and process information for the judge to look at while evaluating the beer. This allows the judge to provide specific and actionable feedback that is deeper than what you receive in competition score sheets.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

We wanted to provide another channel for brewers to get feedback on their beers. We love competitions (and enter them frequently), but there are a few inherent problems we felt we could address.

For one, competitions occur on a particular date so you have to arrange your brew calendar around them. We think there's value in an on-demand service that accommodates your schedule rather than the other way around.

Also, competition feedback is usually minimal out of necessity. There are so many beers to judge and so little time to spend on each one. Our service allows the judge the luxury of spending more time with each brewer's beer.

Lastly, unlike competitions, we provide a way for brewers to submit recipe and process information for the judge to look at while evaluating the beer. This allows the judge to provide specific and actionable feedback that is deeper than what you receive in competition score sheets.

Got ya. So instead of learning on your own how to make a beer better, you are basically paying a consultant to tell you how to do it?

Offline heyimmatt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:02:11 pm »

Got ya. So instead of learning on your own how to make a beer better, you are basically paying a consultant to tell you how to do it?

We see our service as another tool for homebrewers to use to hone their skills and brew better beer. Brewing has been passed down in a Master/Apprentice model for ages. We don't view getting pointers from experts as a bad thing.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 04:24:56 pm »
I'm not a fan of having the recipe in front of the judge while they are tasting. It's too easy to taste what you're expecting to taste when you have the ingredient list in front of you. Too much room for bias that way. A blind tasting would be much more valuable.

Not having a local club or LHBS myself, I can appreciate the service you have to offer. If I was seriously into competitions or planning on opening a brewery, then I'd certainly give it a shot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:26:11 pm »
I see that pre-paid shipping is included. Actually, I think it has a place for some brewers. Personally, I've brewed long enough to be comfortable with cause and effect of ingredients and process, and can eval my beers pretty effectively. So I wouldn't be liable to use the service. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be of value to someone newer to brewing. Of course entering comps can give you good feedback as well. This is just another option.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »
I can see its worth.  Especially if someone is trying to go pro. or really fine tune their brews.  I can't see myself using it, but I can see people using the service.  Plus it would beat getting feedback like some of the comps I've entered.  I like the idea
Jeff B

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
My club has several very capable judges who are willing to give honest feedback, as well as a couple pro Brewers, so I don't see the need.  Even so, I can see those Brewers who don't have access to a good club using this service.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »
I too see the value for specific brewers. I can't myself imagine spending more than I spend on a batch. I enter competitions mainly to get feedback but understand how this could be better.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 08:18:40 pm »
Is there a list of the BJCP ID's of the judges who will be evaluating the submissions?