Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodophor suck back in cold crash.  (Read 4088 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Iodophor suck back in cold crash.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 03:39:34 pm »
Interesting discussion.  But here's another angle to view it from. How many would brew a beer recipe that called for iodine? Not me. It was an oopsy and I wouldn't drink it. I wonder how many people that say they would drink it, would also say that they would not drink a BMC if their life depended on it. Seems counterintuitive. Im in the dump it and learn the lesson camp.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:17 pm »
Interesting discussion.  But here's another angle to view it from. How many would brew a beer recipe that called for iodine? Not me. It was an oopsy and I wouldn't drink it. I wonder how many people that say they would drink it, would also say that they would not drink a BMC if their life depended on it. Seems counterintuitive. Im in the dump it and learn the lesson camp.
But Jim, there are a lot of things we put into beer that I would not want to consume straight.  Does your beer call for lactic acid or gelatin or calcium chloride?
Fortunately my life does not depend on what beer I am going to drink, but it makes sense to me to taste a sample before tossing the batch.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:50:04 pm »
But Jim, there are a lot of things we put into beer that I would not want to consume straight.  Does your beer call for lactic acid or gelatin or calcium chloride?
Fortunately my life does not depend on what beer I am going to drink, but it makes sense to me to taste a sample before tossing the batch.
A taste would add to the education,  sure. I know that I wouldn't bother bottling it.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 06:46:04 pm »
First off...I will never cold crash again...but I use scotch or vodka in my air locks so a mishap won't be undrinkable...just fine warm in the keg and a week later you have clear beer...If you are a bottler...kettle fine hard...to prevent loose trub in the bottle...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

narvin

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 05:35:16 am »
Pretend it's an Islay Scotch.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 01:45:01 pm »

I'd be more worried about a half a gallon of nasty blow off water than I would the iodine.  Who knows what lands in a blow off bucket?

I'd still probably taste it before dumping it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:31 pm »

I'd be more worried about a half a gallon of nasty blow off water than I would the iodine.  Who knows what lands in a blow off bucket?

I'd still probably taste it before dumping it.

Iodophor does not stay dissolved in solution for a very long time, maybe 24-48 hours, if not in a sealed container.  If the blow off bucket was exposed to to the atmosphere, it's likely that the vast majority of the Iodophor has returned to the atmosphere.  Was the blow off solution clear, or still an amber color?  If it was clear, there's little to no Iodophor left.  It may be hard to tell if there's a lot of yeast in the blow off bucket.

Adding this amount of solution back to the beer will cause more problems with flavor dilution and scum from the blow off than human toxicity from residual Iodophor, IMO.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 12:00:20 pm »
Iodophor does not stay dissolved in solution for a very long time, maybe 24-48 hours, if not in a sealed container.  If the blow off bucket was exposed to to the atmosphere, it's likely that the vast majority of the Iodophor has returned to the atmosphere.  Was the blow off solution clear, or still an amber color?  If it was clear, there's little to no Iodophor left.  It may be hard to tell if there's a lot of yeast in the blow off bucket.

Adding this amount of solution back to the beer will cause more problems with flavor dilution and scum from the blow off than human toxicity from residual Iodophor, IMO.

It was still an amber color. My buddy dumped it before I could taste it, unfortunately.

One of our other friends who brews, thinks maybe an off flavor he used to get came from Iodophor. It stopped as soon as he switched to starsan. I had been hoping to taste it to confirm if this batch had that same flavor. Personally I'm thinking he had an infection of some kind in one of his kegs that he just wasn't managing to kill with Iodophor.

Oh well, there will be plenty of other learning opportunities.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you