Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 13028 times)

S. cerevisiae

Hop addiction
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
I do not know how many people on the forum are on the Hops Direct (HD) mailing list, but I believe that HD may have my ticket.  They send out a sale e-mail message, and I am first in line to purchase a couple of pounds of hops.  I have purchased 14 pounds of hops since the spring.  There is no way on God's green earth that I am ever going to use all of these hops.  I use two to three ounces of hops per batch. I end up giving away pounds of hops just to make room for more hops. It is an addiction. :)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
I don't wind up giving much away, but I also buy my hops by the pound.  I also tend to cycle around a few different ones, though, so I only tend to experiment with the trendy hops (I like playing around with single hop IPAs with them).  I use more than you in most cases, though, since I brew 10 gallon batches.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 04:07:44 pm »
Mark, you are preaching to the choir! I just bought 4 more lbs of hops last week that I couldn't have needed, as there were 5 lbs of perfectly good ones in the freezer. But I get excited like a kid when the new crop comes out every year. So that excitement netted me Centennial, Galaxy, Chinook, and Mittelfrueh to go with the others. My wife doesn't share the excitement.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:14:11 pm »
Hi, my name is Steve and I have an addiction to ordering hops by the pound.

It has taken every last bit of my will power to not order 2015 hops. I still have hops direct sealed Mylar bags from 2012 that I need to use. I've been meaning to brew this one recipe out of vintage ales that calls for an entire pound of fuggles, I'm subbing Willamette, but haven't been able to. Even if I got rid of that pound, I have another 5 lbs of various hops packed up.

Honestly, even if I dump or give away half of what I buy, I'm still paying less compared to buying at my lhbs by the ounce.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »
Centennial, Galaxy, Chinook, and Mittelfrueh

You could open a brewpub with just those right there and I'd be a very happy customer.

My "corner" of the family freezer is definitely growing beyond my current brewing capacity.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
Honestly, even if I dump or give away half of what I buy, I'm still paying less compared to buying at my lhbs by the ounce.

No joke. Far better quality than the LHBS too, who opens containers repeatedly to sell by the oz.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 04:24:29 pm »
My wife doesn't share the excitement.   ;)

My wife tolerates my addiction.  Luckily, she is a life scientist by training, so my yeast addiction flies under the radar.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »

No joke. Far better quality than the LHBS too, who opens containers repeatedly to sell by the oz.
My primary shop does sell Hop Union ounce packs, but it's expensive.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »
Centennial, Galaxy, Chinook, and Mittelfrueh

You could open a brewpub with just those right there and I'd be a very happy customer.

Yeah, it'd be a good start for sure ! Citrus, tropical/resiny, pine, and killer noble floral/spice. Covers a lot of territory.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »

My primary shop does sell Hop Union ounce packs, but it's expensive.

Mine too, but in limited varieties. Otherwise it's weighed out of mason jars - open, close, open, close,etc.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »
Mine too, but in limited varieties. Otherwise it's weighed out of mason jars - open, close, open, close,etc.

I have been thinking about getting the wide-mouth sealer for my FoodSaver and using Mason jars for my pellets.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 05:40:34 pm »

I have been thinking about getting the wide-mouth sealer for my FoodSaver and using Mason jars for my pellets.
I just got the narrow mouth jar sealer. Pint jars hold about 8oz. I still plan on using bags since they take up less space for small amounts.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:42:54 pm »

So have I. I have a Food Saver, too, and that option would be really nice. So many purchases to prioritize.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 05:45:23 pm »
Oh man. My freezer just died with about 10# of chicken that went rotten... same freezer that had all of my hops in it. Terrified to use any of them (but will do a test batch next week to see if they are ruined, despite vacuum sealing and mylar).

I guess I should place an order just in case!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 05:50:54 pm »
My new years resolution was to use the hops I have in the freezer prior to buying any more pounds of hops...that lasted 3 months...the stores have been replenished...I love hops...when I see a pound for a good price...gotta get it...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski