Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 13140 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2015, 01:50:50 am »

I think he was one of the Masters who set the bar for my tasting exam. Said he had just bought a uhaul full and was doing the exam on his way home to bend (I think)

Close...Baker, not Bend.
Very well could have been Baker, after all it was about 18 months ago. I'm lucky these days if I can remember what I am about to... uh,  huh,        Oh ya,  about to say.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2015, 04:14:32 am »
1 lb of centennial, 1/2 lbs of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, CTZ, Cascade, Chinook, Nugget, Galaxy, and Equinox are ordered from Yakima Valley..... Thanks for feeding my addiction, Steve  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2015, 06:05:37 am »
Posting here since it is already a hop topic.  Just kegged an APA made with Falconer's Flight.  Hoping the taste improves a bit in the keg.  It's not bad but maybe a bit muted?  Any other experience with this hop?
.7 oz Centennial first wort
1 oz Falconer's Flight @ 5 min left
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's hopstand 10 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight dry hop

I've used it several times and like it - it's pretty comparable to Centennial in intensity IMO. I usually late hop my APAs a tad heavier and have liked the results using it.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:45 am »
Probably not that hard considering the size/cost differential between $100 of hops and $100 of interesting yeast.

One hundred dollars does not go that far when purchasing interesting yeast.   A yeast culture on slant will set one back at least $100.00.  The Siebel adventure set me back over $350.00.  The cultures were only $140.00 each, but shipping and a surprise bill that I received from DHL a couple of weeks later for handing the border crossing from Lallemand's facility in Montreal added over $70.00 to the total cost.

That was my point.  It's a lot easier for $100 of interesting yeast to fly under the radar than $100 of hops.  $100 of hops is much harder not to notice.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2015, 09:02:01 am »
I cut commercial hops entirely out of my brewing.  My home hop yard is now at the scale that I can be "hop independent"- harvested over 3 lbs. (dry) of the freshest hops I can have.  I have enough successful varieties to brew American, German, and English styles that I enjoy.  Sorry hop sellers!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have so many hops now that I started enlisting friends and neighbors to help me pick them. Too many hops.... it's a good problem to have.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2015, 11:37:45 am »
Nudie magazine day! Nudie magazine day! Nudie magazine day!

Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:54 am »
Damn, that's a haul ! Nice.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2015, 12:16:16 pm »
Damn, that's a haul ! Nice.

Those are only 8 oz packages so not as crazy as it looks. Only 5.5 lbs plus a couple 2 oz packages. I needed $100 to get 15% off and my order was at $95.95 lol. So I tacked on 2 oz of warrior. They threw in 2 oz of NZ Southern Cross. I've never used it before, so looking forward to finagling that into a recipe sometime.
Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:15 pm »
Nice. I always fall for those damn minimums as well. That must be why I have a bunch of random 2 ounces.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »
Nice. I always fall for those damn minimums as well. That must be why I have a bunch of random 2 ounces.

Guilty as charged. I have tons of 2 oz bags for that reason. Great for experimenting, though.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
Nudie magazine day! Nudie magazine day! Nudie magazine day!

I think that we have the same taste in hops. And, we probably have freezers that look the same, more hops than meat.  ;)
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

This is the exact reason why I bit the bullet and upgraded to Amazon Prime lol
Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop addiction
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:33 am »

I can't live without prime. I get 5-6 boxes a month from Amazon. Working from home makes running errands seem like a chore. Much easier to order from Amazon. I buy my cats special food for about 25% less too!

Prime same day is awesome. Halloween morning the wife decided that she wanted to watch Hocus Pocus. Wasn't on Netflix or prime streaming but was available for $6 and same day. Had to add another $29 worth of stuff to get it. This brings me back to the cat food, I use it to hit the same day minimum.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2015, 10:29:31 am »

I can't live without prime. I get 5-6 boxes a month from Amazon. Working from home makes running errands seem like a chore. Much easier to order from Amazon. I buy my cats special food for about 25% less too!

Prime same day is awesome. Halloween morning the wife decided that she wanted to watch Hocus Pocus. Wasn't on Netflix or prime streaming but was available for $6 and same day. Had to add another $29 worth of stuff to get it. This brings me back to the cat food, I use it to hit the same day minimum.

Yeah, we get our money's worth and then some from Prime. Love the same day stuff.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:42 pm »
Posting here since it is already a hop topic.  Just kegged an APA made with Falconer's Flight.  Hoping the taste improves a bit in the keg.  It's not bad but maybe a bit muted?  Any other experience with this hop?
.7 oz Centennial first wort
1 oz Falconer's Flight @ 5 min left
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's hopstand 10 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight dry hop

I've used it several times and like it - it's pretty comparable to Centennial in intensity IMO. I usually late hop my APAs a tad heavier and have liked the results using it.
As usual I jumped the gun on the tasting.  Still not my favorite hop blend, but actually it's quite good.  Pretty hazy yet, but I can't bring myself to fine dry hopped APA/IPA beers. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk