Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 6158 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 01:09:25 AM »
Hop prices are really up this year, so I took advantage of the 2014 pellet closeout to add 5 additional pounds of pellets to my collection.  I was 100% whole cones with a false bottom in my kettle 100% of the time up until this year, but whole cones limited the number of cultivars that I could have on hand due to the amount of freezer space that a pound of whole cones consumes.  My wife cried foul when I started filling up of our food freezer with the overflow from the frozen food compartment of my brewing refrigerator. 

I avoided using pellets for the better part of twenty-three years because I hate having to deal with pellet sludge.  I started using a 6" hop filter from Arbor Fab a couple of batches ago.  So far, I have been pleased with the results.  I had to adjust the way that I hop because I have to remove the filter to insert my immersion chiller, but I forgot how effective 5 to 15 minute late additions can be with the right cultivars.  I was just adding kettle and knockout/hopstand charges.   I am thinking about switching back to using a counterflow chiller.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:57:37 AM by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 01:20:23 AM »
Just leave your chiller in full boil. I do that now just because I don't want another thing to deal with.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »
The chiller will not fit with the hop filter in the kettle. The kettle that I use most frequently only holds 27 quarts.  I am currently working on building an electric brewery based on a custom-built 10-gallon Spike kettle.  That kettle will require a modified immersion chiller or a counter flow chiller.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:17:16 PM by S. cerevisiae »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 01:48:59 AM »
My addiction is specialty malts. I have a reasonable amount of hops but the variety of specialty malts I have actually kind of complicates recipe building because I always want to use this or that.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:53 AM »
I hear you there. I currently have a convoluted immersion chiller from MoreBeer that I picked up at a bargain years ago. It sits at an angle eliminating the possibility of using a rigid filter. Instead I use large BIAB bags and clamp it to the kettle edge with a small spring clamp.

When I convert to electric, I will likely add some sort of ridged supports to the chiller so it sits centered, plumb, and off of the element, or possibly switch to another chiller. Too much up in the air to make solid decisions.

I was looking at boil coils, but they are too expensive and lock a brewer into their specs. The fact that they are beyond ULWD and hug the outside is appealing, but not enough for me. I'm going 2" tri clamp from Spike with a 4500w ripple element from electric brewery supply. It is a bummer that the tri-clad bottom will add weight and no utility for my needs, but everything else about their kettles is top notch from what I have seen.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 01:58:52 AM »
I hear you there. I currently have a convoluted immersion chiller from MoreBeer that I picked up at a bargain years ago. It sits at an angle eliminating the possibility of using a rigid filter. Instead I use large BIAB bags and clamp it to the kettle edge with a small spring clamp.

When I convert to electric, I will likely add some sort of ridged supports to the chiller so it sits centered, plumb, and off of the element, or possibly switch to another chiller. Too much up in the air to make solid decisions.

I was looking at boil coils, but they are too expensive and lock a brewer into their specs. The fact that they are beyond ULWD and hug the outside is appealing, but not enough for me. I'm going 2" tri clamp from Spike with a 4500w ripple element from electric brewery supply. It is a bummer that the tri-clad bottom will add weight and no utility for my needs, but everything else about their kettles is top notch from what I have seen.
Watcha talkin' 'bout Steve? hehe wrong thread...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 02:04:35 AM »
I was relating to Mark's issue with keeping his fancy hop spiced and chiller in for the full boil.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 02:10:33 AM »
I was relating to Mark's issue with keeping his fancy hop spiced and chiller in for the full boil.
Ha I missed the connection, I thought you posted to the wrong thread. So I'm the one not paying attention!

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »
During the great hop shortage of 2008 I freaked out and bought about 20 pounds of hop pellets.  I have no idea why I bought so much.  They now sit at zero degrees in the freezer.  Open packages are in CO2 filled PET bottles.  I am amazed how well they have kept over the years. Use them all the time for bittering and aroma additions.  Seems to have minimal degradation.  For aroma I use leaf hops that I use up rapidly.  Have not tried storing them long term.

Bought several of the Arbor Fab hop filters couple years ago.  They are the best.  Little pain in the arse to keep clean, but well worth the investment.  I even throw whole piloncillo sugar cones into them and they dissolve without burning.  Two thumbs up on this product.   
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 02:14:25 AM »

Ha I missed the connection, I thought you posted to the wrong thread. So I'm the one not paying attention!
Nah, your post wasn't there when I hit submit, so it's all in the timing.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 02:34:05 AM »
I moved back in July. At my old house, I had a fridge in the garage exclusive to beer and beer supplies. When I moved, I had 18.5 lbs of hops! Really?!? Who does that? I sold half for $80 because I don't have a garage fridge at my new house.
Frank

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 02:39:29 AM »
Any enablers out there with experience with Pilgrim hops? You get a free pound with any order during the Hops Direct sale.

Yes, I also have a problem.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 02:52:02 AM »
Any enablers out there with experience with Pilgrim hops? You get a free pound with any order during the Hops Direct sale.

Yes, I also have a problem.

If you needed an excuse to brew Goose Island IPA, now you have one.
Jon Weaver

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
I must confess, even though I know I have no room for them, and swore to myself that I wouldn't do it, I bought some Meridian, Azacca and Pacific Gem from Farmhouse today after I posted their Black Friday link.

On a semi-related note, I posted a review of Meridian on the Farmhouse website as I was making my purchase. John sent me an email as he approved my review and we ended up going back and forth a bit over our love for Meridian and some of our favorite uses for it. I now understand why they have such a great selection of quality hops - John is obviously a big hophead. He also mentioned that they are planning on opening a nanobrewery in a few months, and that Meridian was going to be their feature hop. It's too bad I don't live out their way, because if the quality of their beer is anything like the quality of their hops, then they're bound to be quite successful.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »
My name is Jeff, and I have 1.5 fridge freezers full of hops. I have not bought a pound of hops in months.

If I could control the urge to buy a bag of grain when I see a new to me malt/Maltster, well, that would be nice.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!