Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 5552 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2015, 03:34:53 AM »

Re: S. cerevisiae's and Hoosierbrew's comments about bulk hop quality:

But, what about Hop Union and BSG Handcraft? Are the bulk hops you guys buy higher quality than these brands available to home brewers?

Aside from the obvious price savings, if you buy hops from your LHBS in only sealed vendor bags, then the difference in quality is zero. But a lot of LHBS (like mine) don't have many sealed bags of hops to buy, so they open up jars repeatedly to weigh out hops, introducing a lot of O2 in the process. So compared to the latter, buying fresh, vacuum sealed hops is vastly superior.
I get it. I edited my post above. I understand your situation.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
I would rather take care of my hops myself.

+1, in a nutshell.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 06:36:07 AM »
Good deal, I think we're on the same page.  1oz bags out of a jar that's been opened and handled a bunch = bad (totally get that).  1oz bags from a reputable hop vendor that were sealed, no worries.  1 lb hops used and resealed by the homebrewer, also no worries.  If my LHBS didn't have such a great selection, I'd order online in a heartbeat.  Listermann's in Cincinnati does very decent job with both hop variety and malt IMO. 
They have been out of Simcoe lately though... I figure since I came home with a Beer Gun tonight, I should probably hold off on the bulk hops and vacuum sealer. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »
Even though things have improved, the home brew trade is at the bottom of the hop totem pole.  Not only are 1oz packages expensive, they are at the bottom of the bottom of the hop totem pole.   Plus, I prefer to purchase as close as possible to the grower.

But, what about Hop Union and BSG Handcraft? Are the bulk hops you guys buy higher quality than these brands available to home brewers?

Regarding home brewers getting the bottom of the barrel (so to speak), shouldn't Hop Union and BSG Handcraft have similar buying power to a craft brewery and more buying power than a single home brewer buying bulk?

Edit: I am not trying to be argumentative. I prefer to keep using the more expensive per ounce hops unless they are inferior in quality. I have stopped buying bulk. I prefer to let the home brew store hold the inventory in hopes that I get fresh ingredients for each batch.
Breweries select lots at the farms. They take the best examples from Brewers cuts on the table. There is a difference in the AA and oils from farm to farm, and even field to field.

The left overs are often blended to give a uniform quality product. I am not sure if BSG or Hopunion (now YCHHOPS) do anything special for the Homebrew trade. BSG now has a Pelletizer in Yakima, so they are not depending on others for supply. Do they run the same quality hops when they are doing 1oz bags? That I don't know.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Good deal, I think we're on the same page.  1oz bags out of a jar that's been opened and handled a bunch = bad (totally get that).  1oz bags from a reputable hop vendor that were sealed, no worries.  1 lb hops used and resealed by the homebrewer, also no worries.  If my LHBS didn't have such a great selection, I'd order online in a heartbeat.  Listermann's in Cincinnati does very decent job with both hop variety and malt IMO. 
They have been out of Simcoe lately though... I figure since I came home with a Beer Gun tonight, I should probably hold off on the bulk hops and vacuum sealer. 

Love my Beer Gun ! Pretty sure you will, too.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »

I haven't even used it yet and I'm already convincing myself I need a second one.  I have this idea in my head to turn a spare keg into a bottling bucket for sour beers; mixing priming sugar and wine yeast in the keg and filling bottles with the beer gun to avoid oxygen as much as possible.  I'm fairly certain the beer gun won't break down small enough for me to pressure cook it. 

Online coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
I must confess, it has only been 15 minutes since my last purchase.  I had to buy Millennium since hearing it here.  Bought Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Nugget, Motueka, Mandarina, Mittelfruh, and Perl.  I used Mandarina in my Saison and really liked it.  Have not used Millennium or Motueka before.  So now I have 18 pounds.  It is always nice to be able to open the freezer and have choices.   
Jeff B

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »

I haven't even used it yet and I'm already convincing myself I need a second one.  I have this idea in my head to turn a spare keg into a bottling bucket for sour beers; mixing priming sugar and wine yeast in the keg and filling bottles with the beer gun to avoid oxygen as much as possible.  I'm fairly certain the beer gun won't break down small enough for me to pressure cook it. 

I've got a keg labeled "Dank Tank" for this purpose, it makes managing sours so easy.  Highly recommended.  When I got my beer gun I designated my old racking cane/picnic tap setup for bottling sours this way.

Back to hops...

Just when I thought I was set, this thread pulls me back in.  I'll be making a purchase today along the lines of Jon's fantastic four.  D'oh!
Jon Weaver

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
It appears I was in denial and it is even worse than I thought...... 20 unopened 1lb bags and 24 Mason jars storing various hops :-[

In addition, my LHBS (AKA - my "dealer") just let me know that my 2 lbs of Galaxy hops are in....... 

And, here I am, brewing another lager today using a measly 3 ounces of hops.  Better get the IPA's on the agenda again.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:22:07 PM by braufessor »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Even though things have improved, the home brew trade is at the bottom of the hop totem pole.  Not only are 1oz packages expensive, they are at the bottom of the bottom of the hop totem pole.   Plus, I prefer to purchase as close as possible to the grower.

Regarding home brewers getting the bottom of the barrel (so to speak), shouldn't Hop Union and BSG Handcraft have similar buying power to a craft brewery and more buying power than a single home brewer buying bulk?

Edit: I am not trying to be argumentative. I prefer to keep using the more expensive per ounce hops unless they are inferior in quality. I have stopped buying bulk. I prefer to let the home brew store hold the inventory in hopes that I get fresh ingredients for each batch.
Breweries select lots at the farms. They take the best examples from Brewers cuts on the table. There is a difference in the AA and oils from farm to farm, and even field to field.

The left overs are often blended to give a uniform quality product. I am not sure if BSG or Hopunion (now YCHHOPS) do anything special for the Homebrew trade. BSG now has a Pelletizer in Yakima, so they are not depending on others for supply. Do they run the same quality hops when they are doing 1oz bags? That I don't know.
Brewers that can select, select the best hops, in their opinion. Right? Best meaning best for them, might might mean most similar to what they usually get.

I imagine the baggers of pellets pelletize a bunch and then start bagging. If pound bags smell better than ounce bags it probably because there's 16 times more hops in the bag.

Just my views of what I imagine is going on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
I started buying from the West Coast when Mark Garetz opened HopTech (He sold the business years ago).  The difference between what Mark sold and what was available in the general home brew trade at that point in time was like the difference between night and day.  Even though things have improved, the home brew trade is at the bottom of the hop totem pole.  Not only are 1oz packages expensive, they are at the bottom of the bottom of the hop totem pole.   Plus, I prefer to purchase as close as possible to the grower.

I tell ya, you want Hop Heaven.  Ted is a BJCP Grand Master.  He drives from his house in eastern OR to Yakima and hand selects his hops from the growers.  He and his wife pack them themselves.  He bought over 35K lb. last year.  You will not find better quality hops...at least I haven't!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2015, 05:32:04 PM »
Brewers that can select, select the best hops, in their opinion. Right? Best meaning best for them, might might mean most similar to what they usually get.

I imagine the baggers of pellets pelletize a bunch and then start bagging. If pound bags smell better than ounce bags it probably because there's 16 times more hops in the bag.

Just my views of what I imagine is going on

Hop and Brew School next year will blow your mind.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »

I use the same beer gun for sours and normal beers since it is mainly stainless.  The only extra thing I have purchased for my sour "beer gun" setup is an additional rubber tip and 10ft of tubing/quick disconnect.  This stays separate from my normal equipment and no cross-contamination has occurred in 8 years of using mine. 
I also have separate designated kegs and cobra taps for my sour beers as well. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
Mark, you are preaching to the choir! I just bought 4 more lbs of hops last week that I couldn't have needed, as there were 5 lbs of perfectly good ones in the freezer. But I get excited like a kid when the new crop comes out every year. So that excitement netted me Centennial, Galaxy, Chinook, and Mittelfrueh to go with the others. My wife doesn't share the excitement.   ;)
Where did you get Mittelfruh this time of the year? I don't think this year's harvest is out yet for noble hops, is it?
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2015, 10:58:54 PM »
Mark, you are preaching to the choir! I just bought 4 more lbs of hops last week that I couldn't have needed, as there were 5 lbs of perfectly good ones in the freezer. But I get excited like a kid when the new crop comes out every year. So that excitement netted me Centennial, Galaxy, Chinook, and Mittelfrueh to go with the others. My wife doesn't share the excitement.   ;)
Where did you get Mittelfruh this time of the year? I don't think this year's harvest is out yet for noble hops, is it?

I misspoke - the load of hops I bought (YVH) were all 2015 crops except for the Mittelfrueh, which were 2014. I haven't seen the 2015 Mittelfrueh posted anywhere yet.
Jon H.