Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High gravity brewing manipulations  (Read 1542 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
High gravity brewing manipulations
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:48:10 pm »
I am playing around with my Stout recipe.  I have mentioned in other posts that I seldom hit my OG target when brewing a beer in the neighborhood of 1.100.  I have learned that some of that is due to lower efficiency in the mash, so I have adjusted the recipe to account for a ~64% efficiency. 

I'm also thinking I need a thinner mash to help the conversion.  But the sparge volumes get so small that I think the conclusion is to do a 'no sparge' mash.  If I do that will I encounter any unforeseen issues or is it as simple as just not sparging, and putting all your water in for the mash.

And then I start thinking of a Parti-gyle mash, and using the second runnings for canning starter wort.  So then I wonder how to estimate the OG of the second runnings so I can hit the target of 1.040.

And finally, given my mash tun size of 15 gallons, and the above factors, I still am limited to an OG of about 1.095.  So then I start thinking about adding DME/LME to bump the gravity.  Unfortunately I have only ever done whole-grain brewing.  What color of malt extract would be best for a stout?  Is LME superior to DME?  At this point since DME is more available I'd go with that, but I don't like how it clumps when I have done starters with it. 

That is a lot, but what do you think?  Am I on the right track?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: High gravity brewing manipulations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 12:59:05 pm »
When it comes to extract, I just use pale DME. Easier to store and weigh. An easy way to add it is to pull of about half gallon and mix in a separate pot. I do this for sugar and hop extract additions as well.

For my system I no sparge very big beers and get about 50% efficiency, I then sparge a second beer that is made up of the other 25% or so of the sugars (75% total efficiency). Even with no sparge, my water:grist is about 1.3 for my typical imperial stout.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:06:11 pm »
Below my signature line is a link to a calculator for parti-gyle mashing.  Most of the credit for the calculator goes to the Kaiser, but I made a tweak and a correction.  My plan this weekend is to make RIS of 1.100 with the first running (OG 1.080) and a 1.049 American stout with the second runnings with the addition of roasted barley to the the mash after the first runoff.

LME often has an extract twang so I avoid it.  DME dissolves easiest around 120 F.  At some point above that temp,  DME will clump.  The lightest color is generally best; basically you are just trying to add fermentables, not the unknown specialty grains incorporated in the darker extracts.

You are on the right track. 

Edit: Corrected LME and DME

RPIScotty

High gravity brewing manipulations
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »
I have learned quickly that winging it is the way to go with PartiGyle. Load up that mash tun to the max and no sparge the first runnings. Take a thick second runnings as well and mix and match to get 3 preboil beers.

Mix and match hops, sugars, etc. and leave the calculators at home! (No offense to you Roger, your calculator is awesome) When you blend the calculations become somewhat of a moot point because you can mix and match to get the right volumes and gravities.

And finally, given my mash tun size of 15 gallons, and the above factors, I still am limited to an OG of about 1.095. 

If you used the Parti-Gyle method and mixed preboil volumes of wort, aiming for a lower volume batch size would net you your high gravity strong beer, a smaller gravity session able beer and your starter wort. Maybe 8 gallons strong beer, 5 gallons of a mild and 1 gallon of starter wort.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:58:01 pm by RPIScotty »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:08 pm »
Thank you all!  Great info.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 05:51:07 am »
I will do a modified no-sparge with my big beers.  Mash around 1.3-1.5 qt/# as normal.  Then use the remaining water heated up to 195-200F (based on my original mash temp used) to reach a "mash-out".  Let that sit for 10 minutes, then drain into the kettle.